cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MC801A B15 Wifi Key Complexity Requirement

BillyZera
Regular

So I was forced to do a factory reset on my MC801A to diagnose another issue. When it came back up and I tried to configure the same WiFi settings as I had before, it's now forcing me to add a special character to my Wifi Key. It was using a key without a special character before the factory reset, and also the DEFAULT password after the factory reset does not even have a special character in it, but when I try to set my normal password, it wants a special character.

So now I have an entire day resetting/repairing and rejoining a large number of smart home devices with a new wifi password and reconfiguring them in my home assistant system. This is NOT something I'm prepared to have to do, so I've been forced now to order a 2.4ghz router to arrive tomorrow to run my smart home network.

This is totally stupid in my opinion. It should be down to the network owner to decide whether they want to use what three decides is an "insecure" wifi password. So now I'm having to use a secondary AP next to this expensive 5G ZTE simply because the price of the second access point is worth less than an entire days time and stress trying to fix the issue with three.

6 REPLIES 6
martcoug1
Regular

What type of security have you set the wifi at? 

BillyZera
Regular

WPA2(AES)-PSK
Same setting as I used before without a special character.

sc1999
Local celebrity

It's the nanny state. For some reason we are not considered clever enough to secure our own systems so we need help. I have one login that requires a texted 6-digit code even when using biometrics.

techbloke
Active

Unfortunately yes.

We had a system breached at work and it transpired someone had set one of the admin passwords to the name of their pet or somesuch.

What followed was a severe lockdown ordered by the security team and several weeks of people complaining to me about the requirements 🙂

We can't win.

Zygorf
Fledgling

In case anyone else runs into this thread there is a workaround.  Log in to the router on a phone and use the app ZTE Link this allows the complexity rule to be bypassed.

Icicle
Fledgling

I would try that if it didn’t say my username and password are wrong when all the details are there on my router. It’s like they don’t want you to log into it