cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chargeable events within 180 days

threeuser666
Fledgling

In the terms & conditions of the new PAYG, it says "If within a 180 days you have not made any chargeable events or activities (for example, made telephone calls, sent text or photo messages, accessed content or the internet or any other Three Services for which a charge is made), we may also suspend our Services or disconnect you".

Does "chargeable events" include:

1. Topping up the account with £10 every 6 months or so
  2. Using the cash credit balance to purchase a £10 datapack

Or would I still need to make a call or text to keep my line active? I am currently abroad (country that is not part of Go Roam) and Three is not letting me make calls ("Unable to connect your call"), and also failing to send text messages, but using 3G data seems to be working still.

5 REPLIES 5
Paddiewack
Superstar

Make a chargeable event. Call text and suchlike! 

threeuser666
Fledgling

Please see the bottom text I included in my original post. I am unable to make calls or send text messages (getting "Unable to connect your call" or text messages failing to send) while I am abroad (I am at a non-Go Roam destination). 3G data seems to be working but I have not received any messages or updates that credit has been deducted from my account (this makes me unsure if it's been counted as a chargeable event yet).

So I was wondering if doing the following:

1. Topping up the account with £10
  2. Using that cash credit balance to purchase a £10 datapack

would count as a chargeable event since I am unable to call text and suchlike!

Paddiewack
Superstar

I’m sorry I rushed my earlier reply but the answer to your question is no! Simply because you’re adding to your account rather than debiting it. A chargeable event is making a call or text every 180 days as you stated earlier. Again I’m sorry not to have read your message correctly. 

threeuser666
Fledgling

No worries! We've all been there, thank you for the clarification.

Unfortunately I am at a loss of how I can make a "chargeable activity" happen on my account when I am abroad and for some reason unable to call/text (there is service, but it fails to connect me to a call/send a text even when there is sufficient credit on my account). Live chat suggested that even though I am at a non-Go Roam destination, I can only use Three services for up to 90 days abroad (I have been away from the UK since January to support some family abroad).

However, as per the Roaming & calling abroad FAQs under "What's the policy for long term Go Roam use?": "We'll monitor your usage, and if you spend two complete months in one or more of our Go Roam destinations in a rolling 12-month period, we have the right to suspend international roaming services on your account. This means you'll no longer be able to use your device or allowances abroad. Of course, we’ll let you know in advance if this is likely to happen. You'll need to stop using your roaming services exclusively for roaming in Go Roam destinations and return to the UK to avoid suspension. If you spend a full two months abroad but some of that time is spent in a destination that isn't included in Go Roam, the restriction won't apply."

But:

• I am not in a Go Roam destination, and have not stopped at a Go Roam destination at all, so I assumed the restrictions will not apply to me
  • There was no text message from Three warning me in advance that I am unable to use their services abroad after 90 days

I have previously been able to call/send text messages from abroad, so I'm just confused why I can't do it anymore and also worried that my number will be suspended 😥

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @threeuser666,

I'm sorry to hear about this. Where are you currently roaming if you don't mind me asking?

Roaming shouldn't disable itself, unless a fair use policy was reached, and you'd normally receive a message first if that happened.

It may be worth toggling flight/airplane mode on and off again. And/or checking your settings for network/carrier selection, and setting this to manual, which will let you switch to a different local provider's signal.

When you managed to get in touch with the chat team, did they confirm roaming was active on the account, and that they didn't find anything barring you from connecting?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.