cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5g Data usage

GTRetroworld
Fledgling

Hi All,

New 3 user here and also a fresh user of 5g in my area.

My Previous contract was 100gb of data but i have only ever used around 10-20gb so i thought i would try 3 @ 30gb.

The thing is i have only had it a day and used over 3gb on a few speed tests which i might add are crazy fast.

I don’t normally stream videos out and about but this is a different sort of experience. So my question is do you think i will regret the not upping my data allowance as i year seems a long time.

Thanks in advance Neil

3 REPLIES 3
MZone
Key player

Depends on what you are using mobile data for. I have 25GB a month and prob top 5GB as I am mostly on WiFi. You can always change your tariff if you find you are using more. According to Ofcom, the average person's monthly usage is around 5.6GB

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hey Neil,

Welcome to the Three Community.

Yeah it's something to be cautious of is running speed tests when you don't have unlimited data. Part of how these checkers work is by forcing large packets of data, as using smaller amounts can give inaccurate results.

With 30GB you should be fine to do the odd speed test, but it's best not to run them repeatedly.

If you have an Android, you should be able to check in your network settings for your data usage stats. This varies a bit depending on manufacturer and software version, but I can find this under Settings > Network and Internet > SIMs > 3 > App Data Usage

This can help you get an idea of your overall data usage as well as which Apps are the culprits. You can also monitor your overall usage by checking bills on My3 to see how much you've used each month, but this won't break this down by app.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

Geluk
Key player

Could also be your device/s updating s/ware in background 😉