cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't seem to make calls

Fi713
Fledgling

Hi,

I can't seem to make calls at the moment, for the past week I've not been able to make calls out or to receive calls in, I get voicemails but I can't listen to them. So I have texts and data but absolutely no calls anywhere, it's very odd, any help or advice would be appreciated!

Many Thanks!

12 REPLIES 12
MZone
Key player

Silly question but have you tried turning your phone off and on again. Failing that I suggest you get in touch with customer services to discuss this issue. 

Paddiewack
Superstar

What network message do you get when you try to call? What message do incoming callers hear?

Fi713
Fledgling

Hi both!

Thanks for your replies

I've shut my phone down completely, left it for a few minutes to think about what it did and turned it back on but unfortunately that didn't seem to help

I don't get a network message at all, there's no dial tone or anything, and incoming callers just go straight to voicemail, it's very odd

I'll probably hit up customer services today, thanks for the advice!

Paddiewack
Superstar

Good luck and I hope you get things sorted.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Fi713,

I'm sorry to hear about this. It may relate to an issue I'm investigating. I've sent you a PM to ask for a couple of details.

To view your private messages on the community, click on your avatar image in the top right of any community page, then "Messages".

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

I suspect this could be relating to our 3G switch off, depending on phone settings and compatibility this may explain why texts and data are working, but not calls.

You can check if there's been any 3G masts switched off in a postcode area using our Coverage Checker.

There's also more info on our 3G switch off info page.

Some older 4G devices might not be 4G calling compatible. You can check your device on our device support page. Pick your device, go to Network, then check that 4G Calling (VoLTE UK & Abroad) is ticked. 

If your device is compatible, all you need to do is make sure 4G Calling is switched on in your device settings. (If there's no mention of 4G calling in your settings, also check if this is referred to as VoLTE, as this may vary depending on your manufacturer and software).

If it’s not compatible, you’ll still be able to send and receive texts and use 4G data temporarily. But you won’t be able to make or receive calls using 4G. 

When we switch off 3G, calls, texts, and data will only be available when using a 4G Calling – VoLTE device. If your device isn’t compatible, you’ll need to change to one that’s compatible with 4G Calling to continue using our network.  

I hope this helps, if you need any assistance determining if this is 3G switch off related please let me know.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

Fi713
Fledgling

Thanks Jonathan!

I thought as much, an additional question, my phone is meant to be 4G calling compatible but I can't seem to find any way to turn this on, what names might 4G calling come under in settings? Does it have different names?

And do I need a 4G compatible SIM card to use 4G calling?

Thanks!

Paddiewack
Superstar

Short answer is no! All sims are 4 and 5g ready. 

MZone
Key player

Could say VoLTE for 4g calling.