cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible Identity Theft scam

Tramontana
Fledgling

Today I received a call from someone claiming to be from Three, offering to sign me up for a 45% discount on my bills. I went along with it, being careful not to supply information like bank account details. The caller didn't need this information as he already had it and read it out to me. He also told me how much my most recent bill was and my address and postcode. Most of this information can only be obtained by accessing my account

I was perhaps foolish in going along with the offer. He gave me his contact number and requested a £30 activation fee for setting up the new direct debit. My phone received an active card check from Three. I provided my credit card details and a payment was taken, also by Three. When I check my account I see the £30 is sitting there as a credit.

A couple of hours later I had another call from the number given by the first caller but from a different person, regarding a pack of legal documents that they said would be sent to me. When I started asking further questions they closed the call rather hurriedly.

It seems to me this might be an elaborate scam to persuade me to sign some document when it arrives by post. Is this likely?

So - a whole raft of questions. How did these people get details held by Three? How did they cause Three to do an active card check? Has there been a data breach in the last 5 years (since I signed up with Three)? When I ask Three these questions on their on-line chat they avoid answering directly and in one case they closed the chat and logged me out.

I saw a post from another user reporting a similar experience. Can anyone throw light on this?

I have changed my password and am contacting ActionFraud to see what other actions I may need to take.

2 REPLIES 2
Tramontana
Fledgling

More on the above: I see my account says I have ordered an iPhone, a Galaxy and a smart watch. I will be cancelling this order as soon as the lines open again tomorrow, but it still means someone has hacked into my account.

PeteG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hello. 

It's disappointing to hear you've been contacted like this. These scammers can be pretty relentless sometimes. 

We can't advise you on how your details were obtained, i's not information we hold. We do have some useful general advice on what to look out for and how to be safer. Check our page here for that. 

We recommend letting the team here know that you were contacted and that you did give away some personal details relating to the account. This can be logged on the account, and the team can also check things over to ensure the account doesn't have any unexpected actions on it. 

Pete.