cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using different APN increases speed drastically.

nhawan
Regular

I recently got Three 5G Broadband and the download speeds were okayish at around 200Mbps at peak times and over 550Mbps at quieter times. For the last few days I noticed the pings in League of Legends increasing from 35ms to around 55ms. This is not acceptable at all so I decided to try the Three.co.uk APN instead of the default 3internet APN that was already setup on the MC888 Hub. Amazingly the speed increased from 200mbps to over 600Mbps at the busy time of 6pm. In game the ping is at 32ms rocksteady.

Can anyone explain why this might be and is it ok to use the three.co.uk APN?

Best solution
Best solution
MZone
Maestro

Using the 3internet APN you get a public IP address should you ever need one

The other is CGNAT.

3internet is designed for mobile broadband while three.co.uk for mobiles.

You may find some things like IP cameras will only work using 3internet.

Speeds are different because it depends on how many people are using that particular APN at the same time.

You can use either. Personal preference. 

View solution in conversation

3 REPLIES 3
Best solution
MZone
Maestro

Using the 3internet APN you get a public IP address should you ever need one

The other is CGNAT.

3internet is designed for mobile broadband while three.co.uk for mobiles.

You may find some things like IP cameras will only work using 3internet.

Speeds are different because it depends on how many people are using that particular APN at the same time.

You can use either. Personal preference. 

nhawan
Regular

The speed difference is not a major problem for me but the latency is. Ideally I want to use the default 3internet APN but it gives unstable latency in most of the games I play such as Valorant, Overwatch 2 and League of Legends.

I tested League today and the latency is between 45-55ms on 3internet APN and 31ms on the Three.co.uk APN even during a less busy time of day.  Is this something Three can fix if I report it?

lamian333
Regular

do you have issues of the connection constantly dropping with three home broadband?