cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What has the 5g broad experience been like?

jt_three
Fledgling

I should have cancelled during the 30 days.

The signal just keeps dropping, even if I use it in my phone or via ethernet. The router might have a wifi issue, but there is absolutely a 5g/4g. Does it get better or should I get ready an alternative ISP?

I'm struggling to log in to work or even watch videos online sometimes.

5 REPLIES 5
Spud
Involved

Excellent here. When my son got a 5G router I tested it at my house and got no 5G signal. A few months ago I tested it again and got great 5G but the Three coverage checker said "no 5G" and Three broadband checker said "no broadband" - bear in mind I've been on a 4G contract since May '22.

Anyway, I bought a secondhand NR5103E (V1) and average 500-600Mbps. 765Mbps tops so far.

4G was also fine, up to 160Mbps. I did my due diligence as I trialled 4G for a couple of weeks whilst still in contract with Shell Broadband. Sent the router back (all free) then got another contract when I could leave Shell penalty-free.

What does Three Network Status say for your post code?

jt_three
Fledgling

Says there's an issue. Apparently will be fixed in 7 days... will update.

I was wondering if non-5g areas can get 4g broadband from Three, as I know a few people with no broadband at home.

Spud
Involved

If someone gets a strong 4G signal on Three (or a Three MVNO such as Smarty or iD Mobile) then they have two ways forward:

• Call Three, see if they can get a 4G contract regardless of network coverage checker or broadband checker saying "No". The advantage is there is a cooling off period.
  • Get a 4G router and pop in a SIM.

My daughter followed the latter router. I gave her my MF286D 4G router from Three and lent her my spare iD Mobile PAYG SIM with an unlimited bundle (£20). All good so she got a 12 month unlimited Three contract (£11.59pm after automatic cashback via Moneysavingexpert).

LTE2122GR 4G routers are excellent and available for £35 secondhand from eBay. I have one as a backup.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for the advice on this thread @Spud, just popping in a link to the Network Status checker you mentioned too in case others find it helpful down the line.

Three Community is celebrating our 2nd Birthday with a prize draw! join in here

jt_three
Fledgling

Update from me.

Still going through their complaints process. I've used my own wifi extender, as the signal kept dropping from their router. But their 5g signal is varies from usuable to awful. Very poor experience. Hoping to find a resolution. I've tried taking the sim card out and it seems to help? Not sure why though.

Yeah, I might check 4g for my family in their area. But the customer service experience has been quite disappointing.