Our new roaming giveaway is live find out more here!
Give us your feedback about how easy you've found getting ready to roam on the above linked article, and you'll be in with the chance to win one of 10, 7 day Go Roam passes to use in Europe and Around the World destinations. Prize draw open till 01 May 2024
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZTE MF286D - DHCP Server Disabled Blocking Access to Alternative DHCP Server on LAN

DarrenJackson
Fledgling

Hi

My ZTE MF286D has the DHCP Server disabled. I have a DHCP Server elsewhere on my LAN. There are multiple wired WiFi Access Points on my network. This setup has worked flawlessly for many years; the only change is switching out a WiFi Access Point for the ZTE MF286D.

My WiFi clients joining my network (for the first time or renewing an expired DHCP lease) from the ZTE MF286D cannot obtain an IP address, via DHCP. The symptoms suggest that the DHCP broadcast from the WiFi device joining is not propogated onto the LAN which is preventing the DHCP Server from responding with the device's reserved IP address.

If I walk the device closer to an alternate WiFi Access Point then the IP address is assigned. The device also roams onto the ZTE when close - if it previously joined the network from a different WiFi Access Point. All WiFi Access Points are wired back to the same switch. The DHCP Server is wired to the same switch.

Has anyone any experience of DHCP issues on this ZTE hub with the DHCP Server disabled?

This seems like a curious restriction? Why allow the DHCP Server to be disabled and block access to an alternate?

My workaround may involve turning WiFi off on the ZTE and bringing back into use the previous WiFi Access Point wired to the ZTE - messy extra box...

I believe the software is up to date.

Regards, Darren Jackson

2 REPLIES 2
DarrenJackson
Fledgling

@PeteG please can you pick up this point and refer to the manufacturer who supply this build to 3. This is a massive problem for me and is preventing some wireless devices in the vicinity of the 3 hub from being able to connect to the network via DHCP. Note the DHCP server is turned off on the 3 hub because I have my own DHCP server on the LAN. The DHCP requests from wireless clients are blocked by the 3 hub and do not propogate onto the wired network and onto my DHCP server. This is really basic networking stuff and no other wireless access point that I have used in 15 years has this issue. This combined with not being able to specify basic network parameters on the 3 hub if I was to use it as a DHCP server. This is becoming a show stopper for getting me network reworked to use this 3 hub. Also the WLAN button doesn't work so how can I use an alternate wireless access point alongside the 3 hub. It's a real pain.

DarrenJackson
Fledgling

@PeteG can 3 supply an alternative router which is not so ridiculously locked down and doesn't block DHCP requests from WiFi clients? Thing is even if I use this one for DHCP and not my server I can't assign DNS servers apparently... why not? Failing that I buy an aftermarket 4G/5G router and move the SIM card - any recommendations?