cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thoughts on device subscription plan?

Beelzemon
Regular

There was an article back in March 2022 about Apple working on providing hardware subscription for iPhones. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-03-24/apple-is-working-on-a-hardware-subscription-servi...

This would perhaps mean that we will never truly be able to own our phones as we would effectively be renting the device from Apple. I think I would be okay with it as long as the monthly fees aren’t considerably more than the cost of buying a new device and if the plan includes replacement for accidental damage, theft or loss.

what are your thoughts?

1 REPLY 1
sc1999
Local celebrity

The subscription cost would have to be significantly lower than the cost of purchase, for me to be interested, due to the potential resale price of an iPhone. If I was cynical, ha ha, I would suggest that Apple would be hoping that a large number of users would not upgrade when they became eligible. Companies make good profits from people who continue with their old phone for years after the initial contract has finished. O2 contracts are part phone cost part airtime so that when the phone is paid for you only pay airtime. I opted for 3 as they were £6 per month more than 3.