cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Three disabling wifi calling preference menus?

TheGreatMothra
Regular

Hi,

I've happen to work in an area where there is really terrible signal. I rely on being able to use wifi calling at all times when I am there. The current policy of my phone appears to be to use regular cellular network even if there is only the tiniest of signal. This makes sending or receiving calls basically impossible.

There is a menu in android phones which allows users to specify that they would prefer to use wifi calling always, however it appears that Three has disabled this menu as part of their carrier settings. Why is this, and what can be done to either work around it, or convince them to turn it on? I'm not above moving networks if that is going to be the only solution.

11 REPLIES 11
TheGreatMothra
Regular

Hi,

In answer to your questions:

The Wi-Fi calling / texting options do work for me intermittently. Sometimes it will activate immediately when I get into a low signal area, sometimes it will not activate at all.

I have had the case where I am waiting for a text message for a 2FA system where the message is never delivered, yet the device remains in regular network mode without switching on Wi-Fi calling / texts. In those situations it usually will not switch on until I manually intervene by putting my phone in aeroplane mode with Wi-Fi on.

Likewise, I have had situations where I have low enough signal that an outgoing phone call will not connect, yet the handset believes that there is enough signal to prevent it switching over to Wi-Fi calling.

UKenGB
Fledgling

I am experiencing the exact same problem. WiFi calling is essential as we live in an area with zero cellular signal (1 mile from the M25 would you believe) and it has been a god send for years as I work from home. But recently it is behaving as for the OP. Even with NO signal (displayed on screen), WiFi Calling is not kicking in. So no 2FA auth/verification messages get through and lots of things then don't work - like logging in to my Three account. Banking stuff. This is a BIG problem.

I've done all the usual things, like restarted the iPhone (13 Mini on latest iOS), reset network settings and although that sometimes gets WFC started, after a short time it's not working again and just showing 'No signal'.

WiFi/ethernet network here is NO problem with multiple Base Stations for whole house coverage and broadband over fibre, all the way and WFC works perfectly for my wife and did for me for many years. This is NOT an Internet connectivity issue.

Switching off 'Mobile Data' seems to kick WFC into operation, but I don't want to have to mess with that every time I go out. As I said, this used to work. Someone has done something wrong (either Three or Apple) to mean WFC doesn't come into operation when it should.