cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace/transfer eSIM whilst abroad.

andy12
Regular

I am thinking of swapping my physical SIM for an eSIM.

If I were to break or lose my phone abroad, is it possible to transfer the eSIM to a different phone whilst still abroad? I was reading on an O2 forum that for O2 the eSIM needs to activated in the UK as it needs a connection to the O2-UK network.

Thanks.

Best solution
Best solution
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the delay there. Happy to correct my earlier answer, eSIM activation is supported abroad. 🙂

Thanks @littledesk for confirming that you've tested this too, always good to hear 1st hand confirmation too. I've not had a chance to get away for a while personally but I might take some time to swap SIM for research purposes next time I'm on holiday. 😂

Many Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

View solution in conversation

15 REPLIES 15
Best solution
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the delay there. Happy to correct my earlier answer, eSIM activation is supported abroad. 🙂

Thanks @littledesk for confirming that you've tested this too, always good to hear 1st hand confirmation too. I've not had a chance to get away for a while personally but I might take some time to swap SIM for research purposes next time I'm on holiday. 😂

Many Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

andy12
Regular

Jonathan,

Thank you very much. That's good news.

And thanks to @littledesk for confirming that it works.

littledesk
Active

What have we learnt here? Don't listen to sales reps in stores. If they were knowledgeable they wouldn't be working in a phone store. HTH. 

littledesk
Active

I've done it. Works just fine. Great job to 3 UK on ensuring this is possible.

Issthu
Regular

Buy a SIM temporarily from the country you are visiting. It will be far cheaper than all the awful packages offered by Three. They just want all of your money for poor service.

andy12
Regular

Issthu,

Thank you for your advice. I do have a local SIM from the country I spend time in, but I am sometimes there for several months and do need my UK number.