cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G connectivity - why isn't it available in Central London?

mongoose
Regular

I live in Central London and was looking at getting 5G broadband rather than V*rgin Media since I'm out of contract. But looking on the Three website, it looks like it's not available, which seems really strange. Is it only available in random places? 

• 5G
Best solution
Best solution
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hey @mongoose

Welcome to the community. Great question.

There's two main factors here, coverage, and capacity on the network. When you search your postcode on the Three broadband shop page, we're checking if your area has signal, and also how many broadband users we can support with the current signal.

So most likely we either don't have the signal there quite yet, or we need to wait for some upgrades to the capacity in the area. We've got people working on both of these factors every day. My best advice would be to register your interest in 5G here: https://bit.ly/3w9UaPP

If you fill in that form we'll let you know when the service is available.

Thanks,

JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

View solution in conversation

2 REPLIES 2
Best solution
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hey @mongoose

Welcome to the community. Great question.

There's two main factors here, coverage, and capacity on the network. When you search your postcode on the Three broadband shop page, we're checking if your area has signal, and also how many broadband users we can support with the current signal.

So most likely we either don't have the signal there quite yet, or we need to wait for some upgrades to the capacity in the area. We've got people working on both of these factors every day. My best advice would be to register your interest in 5G here: https://bit.ly/3w9UaPP

If you fill in that form we'll let you know when the service is available.

Thanks,

JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

stevekn
Involved

I like you moved from expensive and unreliable cable virgin.

I live in London N19 and the 5G signal is good. ( looking at the map there are a few pockets of lower reception in the area)

The download speed does vary at different ties of the day  (upload is always much less than 10% of download)

However there is a know ( see the forum entries for the past year+) problem with the Three supplied 5G broadband ZTE modem where it drops the internet ( still good 5G signal) several times a day, which requires a restart to "immediately" reconnect ( takes couple of minutes once you realise there is 0.0  internet download speed)