cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Broadband recently very slow and unstable

Mlprtqs
Fledgling

Hi,

We've had 5g home broadband since January. At first it worked fine but for the past few weeks it has been very poor on Fridays when both me and my wife work from home. My work VPN keeps dropping and I can have no calls at all between 10am and 6pm. Last Friday it was so bad that I could not connect at all and had to book a day off work.

Even when it works fine, we usually see speeds between 10-50 Mbps for download and between 0-3 Mbps for upload. But when it's bad, I can't even run a speed test. After the recent drop in quality, I moved the router around the house but it seems that the initial location (on a windowsill upstairs) has the best signal (usually between -110 and -100 RSRP). 

I rebooted and reset the hub several times. Also, following advice on here, I unticked Band Auto Selection and ticked B20, B28 and n78 instead. None of these steps seems to have helped. 

I noticed that when checking for coverage for Home Broadband on the Three website, it no longer offers 5G at this address. Could it be that Three realised they cannot deliver 5G speeds and can only offer 4G now? In case it's relevant, we live in London. 

As explained, I am very keen to get this sorted as working from home is currently impossible. Any advice would be very helpful.

Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
sc1999
Local celebrity

3 may no longer offer 5g for new customers as your cell is fully, or over, subscribed. 5g  bandwidth not infinite. 

Anvil_Iron
Rising star

In Auto Band Selection, what bands does the router use?

B28 isn't a supported Three mobile band. Try using B1 & B3 with n78. 

Mlprtqs
Fledgling

Thanks for the reply! The Auto Band Selection seems to use B3, B32 and n78.

As suggested, I've changed this to B1, B3 and n78. I'll report if there's any improvement.

Mlprtqs
Fledgling

Out of all these options it looks like B20 and n78 gives the best signal. However, the speeds are comparable (around 15 Mbps download and 2 Mbps upload this evening).

Anvil_Iron
Rising star

Does the router LED indicate it's connected at 5G?

B20 frequency allows for further distance coverage and it's ability to penetrate walls but can't handle high data loads. Try adding B32 to it may help.

Mlprtqs
Fledgling

Yes, the LED shows it's always connected to 5G.

I've now selected B20, B32 and n78 and I've seem a huge improvement today. Hopefully this will maintain also when I'm working from home.

Thanks very much!

Anvil_Iron
Rising star

Glad to help.

Just out of interest, what speeds are you getting now?

Mlprtqs
Fledgling

Yesterday we had constantly very good speeds around 150 Mbps. Today it was more variable between 10-100.

AX
Active

Same problem for me. Joined Three home broadband in February 2022 and it was consistently getting 300Mbps down and 30+Mbps Up.  That was until early May 2023, since then its been abysmal. especially the download speeds (currently showing 0.08Mbps).  Multiple calls to Three support have gone nowhere and now I'm just waiting for the contract to expire so I can leave for a hopefully better provider.