cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New mobile broadband - totally confused how to set it up

Syg
Fledgling

I ordered a new 5G mobile Broadband router Monday and it arrived today, Tuesday. I put the sim in and plugged it in 8 hours ago. I’ve logged in via the webpage but I can’t get it to connect to the internet. There is no signal. The leaflet with it says I can be ‘up and running straight away’ but a call to customer services and looking for online help says it can take minutes or  2 hours, 4 hours, 48 hours to activate? Which is it? When I try and register it on the app or webpage I just get no response or a ‘this number is wrong’ message. I can connect to the router with wifi but there’re no internet. There is no consistency in any of the information given. A simple question, is there a definitive guide in simple steps of how to set up a brand new Three 5G router and sim ? I have a Three iPhone so I know I’m in a good 5G area. 

1 REPLY 1
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Syg,

I'm sorry to hear that this hasn't been a smooth experience for you. Generally the SIM card should be active by the time of delivery. Occasionally we have seen delays with this but it's quite rare.

If it's still not working I'd give it a reboot, give the SIM card a quick wipe and check it's definitely inserted correctly. It's also worth downloading the "Three 5G Broadband" app, I'm not sure if that's the one you meant, or if you've been on the Three app for accessing My3 online accounts.

The app specifically for broadband, helps manage your router and should be able to help you test different locations so you can find out if the signal problem is down to where it's positioned.

If you're still not able to get connected and the SIM still doesn't seem to be activating, let me know and I'll get you referred onto some colleagues for more help with this.

Thanks,
JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.