cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App Update iOS Error (Because Apple Suck)

D34th_Add1ct
Regular

Hi 🖐

So the phone I'm using right now, I hate. It's an really old iPhone that I was given as a present, after my Galaxy went for an accidental swim in the toilet, and which I'm basically using as hotspot 24/7 until it dies.

I've been getting prompts from Apple to update to whatever iOS version is that latest for well over a year, but as there's no WiFi anywhere near me, I can't (and don't really want to to be honest).

I've got the Three app installed, but when I open it I'm met with a pop-up saying "it's time to update", so I hit the update button and it takes me to the App Store. I click the update button in there, and I'm met with another prompt telling me that the app I'm trying to update is for devices with iOS version 14 something, which I don't have. So I exit and go back to the Three app, where I'm met with the same "it's time to update" pop-up. There are no other options, I can't defer updating, and I can't cancel the prompt.

It's Apple's unhelpful and alienating ethos of forcing their way of doing things that's the root of the problem, but I don't know why the Three app keeps telling me to update to an iOS version that I don't have? Shouldn't it detect my iOS version before telling me to update?

I want my Android back.

2 REPLIES 2
sc1999
Local celebrity

You would have the same problem if you were on android 7 or lower as support for older os's is withdrawn. 2 reasons; firstly older os's don't get security updates and, secondly, trying to keep writing code that works with the new and the old becomes nigh on impossible.  At some point technology becomes old and partially or completely obsolete. 

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @D34th_Add1ct,

Welcome to the Three Community.

I appreciate it's really frustrating using a handset you haven't taken by choice. Unfortunately we do need to occasionally decommission old versions of the Three App for security reasons, as the app is used to access sensitive info like account data and usage and billing records. Security support is eventually withdrawn by Apple (and Google for Android) on older software versions.

I expect you'd still be able to log in to My3 from a browser on your phone, but for the best experience we'd recommend updating your iOS so you can access this on the app.

I'm assuming you're in the middle of a contract term, if you haven't already, it may be worth checking what your early upgrade fee would be like compared to purchasing a new Android.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.