cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No wifi calling on Samsung A40

WillL
Fledgling

I've just installed a software upgrade on my Samsung Galaxy A40, and I can't access WIFI calling (the settings show that its on, but the symbol at the top of the screen doesn't show, and I can't make any calls because the network signal is just about not existent where I live.  

Any suggestions please?

12 REPLIES 12
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi WillL,

Welcome to the Three Community.

I've seen something like this before. Try switching WiFi calling off in settings. Then restart your phone, and reactivate WiFi calling in settings again. Let me know if that fixes it.

JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

davecb
Regular

Hi Jonathan,

I have the same problem with my A40.  I've tried your suggestion and it doesn't make any difference.  Any other ideas.  I've tried swapping SIM cards with a Samsung Galaxy A3 on Three PAYG.  The A40 won't connect to WiFi calling on either SIM whilst the much older phone connects to WiFi straight away on both SIM cards.

Any other suggestions?

Dave

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Dave,

Sorry to hear you're also experiencing this issue. Thanks for detailing the other troubleshooting, that confirms it can't be a SIM or account based problem at least.

The next check would be to make sure you definitely have the latest software update installed.

There's another potential scenario I'd like to check too. Can you try the A40 on flight/airplane mode, so that it has absolutely no mobile signal and is only connecting via WiFi? I just want to rule out that a very weak signal is being detected and preventing WiFi calling from kicking in.

Due to differences in the hardware, the A40 might be picking up a weak signal where the A3 isn't. Let me know how this goes.

JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

davecb
Regular

Hi Jonathan,

I think the problem really started after the last software update.  I've re-checked the manual software update and tells me I am up to date,

ScreenshotScreenshot

I just tried Airplane Mode, switching WiFi back on but no joy.  It does look as though it is a problem with the A40 or its software..  If there is a strong enough signal the phone seems to be working OK but that is pretty rare around this house.  WiFi calling at home has been the norm, first with the A3 and for the last 3 years with the A40 and its reliability had been the main reason keeping me with Three.

Dave

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for sharing these details Dave. I'm going to look into this further, I'll let you know as soon as I have any further suggestions on how to proceed.

JonathanB

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Dave,

Did you get the handset directly from Three, or from a 3rd party retailer? 

@WillL if you're still having the same difficulties can you confirm if you have the same software version that Dave took a screenshot of, and same question is your Samsung one Three supplied or from elsewhere?

JonathanB

davecb
Regular

Hi Jonathan,

The phone came direct from Three.  I moved to a SIM only contract once the original contract paid for the phone (just over a year ago).  No problems with WiFi calling until the last couple of weeks.

Dave

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks Dave,

I'll PM instructions so we can investigate this further.

JonathanB

Petetapping
Fledgling

Exactly the same for me. Tried all the switching off and on options. Please tell me how to get WiFi calling back. 

Pete Tapping 07xxxxxxxxx