cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Three disabling wifi calling preference menus?

TheGreatMothra
Regular

Hi,

I've happen to work in an area where there is really terrible signal. I rely on being able to use wifi calling at all times when I am there. The current policy of my phone appears to be to use regular cellular network even if there is only the tiniest of signal. This makes sending or receiving calls basically impossible.

There is a menu in android phones which allows users to specify that they would prefer to use wifi calling always, however it appears that Three has disabled this menu as part of their carrier settings. Why is this, and what can be done to either work around it, or convince them to turn it on? I'm not above moving networks if that is going to be the only solution.

11 REPLIES 11
sc1999
Local celebrity

I have found how to turn wifi calling on and off but there is nothing on my S21FE that allows me to prioritise wifi calling. It's odd that there is a switch will that tells android to switch between wifi and cellular data depending on which signal is stronger. It seems reasonable that wifi calling and cellular signal should be treated in the same way.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @TheGreatMothra,

Can you explain a little bit more about what you mean by we've disabled this menu? Are you seeing a menu that is greyed out, or are you not able to find it? Or was this showing on a past update and has disappeared?

If you can confirm the model of phone, the software version you have, and whether this is a device purchased from Three, purchased from another provider, or purchased unlocked this will help me investigate this further.

Thanks,
JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

TheGreatMothra
Regular

Hi,

I'm using a pixel 7. In the settings there is a "calls preference" menu which is greyed out and locked to Three. Usually you can specify on this menu whether or not to prefer wifi calling over the cellular network. From everything I've read this menu is disabled based on a flag from the mobile provider.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks @TheGreatMothra, if you can share the software version, and whether this was supplied by Three, initially supplied by another provider and subsequently unlocked, or supplied unlocked from elsewhere that'll be a great help in getting this checked out further.

JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

PeteG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi, TheGreatMothra. 

If you're referring to the section of settings where it also shows the data usage, and "SMS Preference" This isn't a Wi-Fi calling setting. This setting relates to which SIM card should be prioritised for making calls when the phone has two active SIM cards. 

I'm unable to find any other menu on the Pixel devices that resemble your description, but if there is another one that I'm missing, could you guide me to it? 

Pete.

TheGreatMothra
Regular

The easiest way to get to the menu is to go into settings and search for "calls preference" you'll see the menu listed in the "others" section. Click that and you'll see this page:

Screenshot_20221113-163243.png

The greyed out calls preference menu normally contains a "prefer wifi calling" option when it is available.

TheGreatMothra
Regular

Hi,

The software is Android 13, specifically Build TD1A.220804.031

The handset was bought unlocked direct from Google.

Thanks for getting back to me.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @TheGreatMothra,

I'm waiting on some feedback regarding this, I'll let you know as soon as I have an update. In the meantime, can I also check something else please?

You've mentioned in the original post that calls are routing over the mobile signal even when this is very weak. Can you confirm if WiFi calling is definitely working for you when there is no signal? Can you also try switching flight mode on, and connect to WiFi only, and let me know if that switches over to WiFi calling?

Thanks,
JonathanB

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @TheGreatMothra,

I've been advised that the Wi-Fi calling preference setting is not supported on Three at the moment. Our Wi-Fi calling should still engage automatically when the signal drops below a certain threshold though. 

I'll raise feedback that this is causing disruption for you, and happy to investigate the underlying issues further.

Can you let me know the answers to my questions from my earlier reply? I'd like to establish if Wi-Fi calling doesn't seem to be working for you at all, or if it's acting inconsistently?

Based on what you originally posted, you're working in an area where there is poor signal and Wi-Fi calling doesn't kick in, and the signal doesn't support making and receiving calls/messages? Does it work in other locations with poor/no signal?

Let me know and I'll look into if there's anything further we can do to help.

Thanks,
JonathanB