cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't make calls

Stevieag
Fledgling

I have recently stopped being able to make phone calls.

I could and now can't, I'm on an unlimited contract.

I did recently renew my contract if that is part of the issue? Not really what I expected.

Network working fine in all other ways, data good, can receive calls and and can call voicemail.

9 REPLIES 9
StephR
Employee
Employee

Hey Stevieag, sorry you're having trouble with calls, that's a nuisance!

What exactly is happening when you try to make a call?
Is that happening with every number you try, or just particular ones?
Is it just happening in one particular area, or everywhere you've been recently?

A good first troubleshooting step is to reset your network settings. You should find the option to do that in your Settings menu, usually under something like 'Reset' or 'Network'. You can also find specific steps on our device support pages.

Let us know how you get on, we'll do all we can to help.

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query. 

Marylyn45
Fledgling

Is happening to every number and is say my number doesn’t support this service 

Tunnybabs
Fledgling

Hi StephR,

I have been unable to make calls for over a month now. I have called and chatted the technical team severally and I have done sim replacement but all to no avail. I am on a sim and phone contract and I can't continue using the sim like this. Is it possible to transfer the sim contract to another new sim (new sim number)?.

DaveH
Fledgling

Hi - Sounds like we have the same problem. I've been on various chats and calls with Three. They say my phone needs to support VoLTE (Voice over LTE), as it doesn't I'm stuck as Three have turned off their traditional Mobile voice. 

I'm not sure if Three are telling me the truth but I can confirm that voice calls work fine when I pop the sim into a modern iPhone 15

Regards

Dave

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @DaveH,

I'm sorry to hear this and we're keen to help. If you check our coverage checker, and switch to the 3G tab, this will let you know if we've been switching off any 3G masts in the area. Please let me know if this coincides with when the issue started?

Is the iPhone 15 a phone you're only able to use temporarily? What model of phone do you normally use?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

DaveH
Fledgling

Hello Jonathan, 

The Three coverage checker states "We’ll be switching off a 3G mast here on 30 September 2024" therefore my problem shouldn't coincide with 3G switchover as it hasn't happened yet.  

My phones (I've tried multiple) are Motorola e.g. G7 Power, G6+ and these prefer CDMA. From what I see, Three have CDMA turned off for most of the day, however it occasionally comes back and then my phones work. SMS txts continue to work 100% of the time, it's only making/receiving calls that are broken. I spoke to multiple departments in Three (also via Twitter) and they all say I need VoLTE enabled (which isn't supported by my phones). When I switch to a phone that supports VoLTE everything works fine. My problem is that I can't afford a new phone right now so I've switched to PAYG on EE and my phones now work again. 

Regards

Dave

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Tunnybabs,

Sorry we've missed this post, you've replied to quite an old thread here. I'm keen to help though.

What model of phone are you using? Is it only calls that are affected, for example sending texts and using data is fine? If you check our coverage checker, and switch to the 3G tab, this will let you know if we've been switching off any 3G masts in the area. Please let me know if this coincides with when the issue started?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

J4m13
Fledgling

I am unable to call other 3 users and despite showing 5G I do t get any internet. Been going on for a week and customer service is useless

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hey @J4m13,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having issues with calling and using data recently. Are you on a PAYG or Pay Monthly contract? Can you let us know what error message(s) you're seeing when the call fails, or when you try and connect to web pages or use apps?

Thanks,
Jonathan