cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conversion to eSim

TheIanH
Fledgling

I currently have a Sim only contract with 3 since December 22 (ie not a 'Three My Way' contract ). I am using an iPhone 12 with a physical sim. I want to buy an iPhone15 to use instead. This phone supports only eSim.

My iPhone12 could also take an eSim. If I could get an eSim on the iPhone12 it should be possible to transfer this to the new iPhone  (I see in this feature in the iPhone12 menu on the device) just as it should be possible to move a physical sim from one phone to another? I see on my three account page the option to order a replacement sim has an eSim option.

So all the pieces should be in place - But I read some stuff about eSim not being available on older contracts. Would I also need to change my contract to get an eSim?

2 REPLIES 2
Paddiewack
Superstar

I too am sim only with Three! I too have an iPhone 12! When I tried to substitute my physical sim for an eSIM about 5 months ago (we were going abroad and wanted my phone to be dual sim to give us more options ) it unleashed all sorts of problems. As soon as customer service issue an eSIM via email it cancels automatically your physical sim. My problem was the installation of the eSIM failed,( trust me I did everything correctly and my iPhone is fine and always has the latest iOS software) so then I had no service at all and had to obtain an replacement physical sim by post because my area is quite rural and a good way from a Three shop.  So all I’d say is be careful what you wish for. It’ll probably all be fine and dandy with you but keep my experience in the back of your mind. eSIM is available on all contracts but not on payg as far as I’m aware. 

Good Luck. 

TheIanH
Fledgling

Thanks for your reply. I will give it a try next week when I have time to visit a Three shop in case of disaster recovery.