cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace/transfer eSIM whilst abroad.

andy12
Regular

I am thinking of swapping my physical SIM for an eSIM.

If I were to break or lose my phone abroad, is it possible to transfer the eSIM to a different phone whilst still abroad? I was reading on an O2 forum that for O2 the eSIM needs to activated in the UK as it needs a connection to the O2-UK network.

Thanks.

Best solution
Best solution
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the delay there. Happy to correct my earlier answer, eSIM activation is supported abroad. 🙂

Thanks @littledesk for confirming that you've tested this too, always good to hear 1st hand confirmation too. I've not had a chance to get away for a while personally but I might take some time to swap SIM for research purposes next time I'm on holiday. 😂

Many Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

View solution in conversation

15 REPLIES 15
MZone
Key player

Pretty sure you have to be in the U.K. to activate a three eSIM. 

andy12
Regular

Thank you for the reply.

I have just asked the question using live chat and I was told it was posible to activate a new eSIM abroad. Of course that may be incorrect. It would be good to hear from someone who has actually done it.

andy12
Regular

I went into the large Three shop on Oxford Street, London today and they said it was NOT possible to activate/transfer an eSIM whilst abroad.

One would have thought it was a simple question and one many Three customers would be interested in having a definitive answer, but apparently not.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @andy12,

I'm sorry to hear you've received two contradictory answers about this. My understanding is that the eSIM needs to be activated whilst your device is in range of Three UK coverage, but I'll get this double checked and let you know.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

andy12
Regular

Jonathan,

Thank you. I look forward to hearing the definitive answer,

littledesk
Active

I'm sorry to hear you've received two contradictory answers about this. My understanding is that the eSIM needs to be activated whilst your device is in range of Three UK coverage

Simply not true. I've activated multiple SIMs whilst outside the United Kingdom. Maybe you could comment on why eSIMs can only be provisioned between the hours of 08h00 and 20h00 UK? If a request is made outside that time..nothing comes through, yet at 08h00 on the dot, in the email comes with the activation QR code. Totally bizarre. 

andy12
Regular

Jonathan, have you had a chance to double check this?

Thanks.

littledesk
Active

Why do you need them to? I’ve already told you the answer. 

andy12
Regular

Littledesk,

Thank you for your advice. I am interested in hearing what Three's official position is and whether transferring/activating an eSIM abroad is supported.