Our new roaming giveaway is live find out more here!
Give us your feedback about how easy you've found getting ready to roam on the above linked article, and you'll be in with the chance to win one of 10, 7 day Go Roam passes to use in Europe and Around the World destinations. Prize draw open till 01 May 2024
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknown data usage

Gina
Fledgling

Hi, I wonder if anyone can shed a bit of light on whats happening with my data usage.

I received a text saying that my data was running low.  This never happens as I hardly use it.  I have 12gb per month and on average use between 4-5gb.  I have checked my data usage and I have some recurring data that shows for a number of days at exactly the same time of day every day and at 12 hour intervals.   These are for varying amounts of kb.  Three advisor tried to fob me off that its the apps refreshing but I don’t believe it as its never happened before and why would it refresh every 12 hours? Example as below:

6/7/8/9/10/11 Jan - data used 12:37:26 and 00:37:26

2/3/4/5/6 Jan data used 11:22:20 and 23:22:20

22/23/24/25/26/27 Dec data used 07:50:11 and 19:50:11

I’ve now turned off mobile data to see if it happens today (ill check my bill breakdown tomorrow).

Any suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

3 REPLIES 3
PeteG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hello.

Most phones keep track of which apps used data and an estimate of how much the apps have used. I'm not sure if this is what you're using already to check the usage, but if not, it should give you a rough idea of how much data was used since the last refresh date.

Pete. 

Gina
Fledgling

Hi, I got the info of off the three website. I’ve attached a couple of photos below. Nothing has changed since my last bill came in. As I said previously, I only ever use 4-5gb per month. It also seems strange that it’s recurring every 12 hours??IMG_2468.jpegIMG_2469.jpeg

PeteG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

The service counts data in sessions. Depending on when your next usage session begins, and ends, you'll see the usage under a specific time stamp. It doesn't look like anything is wrong there. 

The amount of data being used during those periods also isn't very high either, which each time stamp often having just a few MB on them. Over the space of a month, the total for those wouldn't be very high.

To know how much was used and by which apps, the phones own tracker would need to be used. If it doesn't have one, we wouldn't have any other way of breaking down the allowance.

Pete.