cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A second sim on the same plan

Piece_Maker
Fledgling

Hi there, 

I'm currently on an unlimited plan with my phone, however I've recently gotten a laptop that has a 4G SIM card slot for data use. I've tested my SIM card in this and it works fantastically, however it's rendered a bit pointless as I have to swap my SIM card over to it, so I might as well just tether to my phone at this point. 

I'm wondering if there's any way to get a second sim card for my data plan for use in the laptop, without having to buy a second unlimited data plan? 

Hope that makes sense, thanks!

Best solution
Best solution
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Piece_Maker,

Thanks this is an interesting suggestion which I'll pass on, but unfortunately we don't have a service like this currently. When you activate a new SIM with an existing number it disables the old one for security reasons.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

View solution in conversation

4 REPLIES 4
Best solution
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Piece_Maker,

Thanks this is an interesting suggestion which I'll pass on, but unfortunately we don't have a service like this currently. When you activate a new SIM with an existing number it disables the old one for security reasons.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

kingmustard
Fledgling

I am now the same situation (just bought a cellular tablet).

Is there an update on this please, @JonathanB?

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @kingmustard,

Sorry in cases like this I can pass on customer feedback, but no guarantees on if they'll be accepted or implemented. I don't think we've received any similar feedback or suggestions on our Community in the meantime since this was originally posted.

For the moment, you can either hotspot/tether to a secondary device, or consider an additional SIM only, but we don't have plans with shared data currently.

Thanks,
Jonathan

IJ
Fledgling

I think the mobile companies need to look into this as it will generate income for them as well.  I noticed my wireless camera getting mysteriously jammed on several occasions and I am thinking of getting sim cameras as they can not be jammed.  The only issue is I am not going to get 4 sim contracts!!!! If there was such a thing as multiple sim cards with various numbers on same data plan that would help a lot!!!! With the emergence of sim cameras it is a shame mobile companies have not kept up with it.  Wake up people.  Hello?