cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

‘Computer says No’ - Move from Pay Monthly to Pay As You Go

TiG
Fledgling

I’m on an Advanced Plan which is out of contract and I want to switch to Pay as You Go and keep my number.  I called 3 Customer Service and was passed between 3 different people who kept offering different contract options which did not suit my needs.  I was then told that it would not be possible to switch my number to PAYG on 3 due to IT/software system changes.  I would like a clear, straightforward solution to make the transfer to PAYG and keep my number without having to move to a different network.  I have a 3 PAYG Sim which has not been activated.  Can you transfer my existing number to this new Sim without me having to move to another network first?

2 REPLIES 2
Geluk
Key player

Can't be done. You'll have to ask for a PAC, and temporarily transfer to another operator. [Giff Gaff etc]
Then get a PAC [from new provider]  to transfer back to 3 with your choice of plan.

sc1999
Local celebrity

Three used to have two systems, pay monthly and PAYG. During the transition they allowed pac codes to be used to move from monthly to PAYG. This option appears to have been removed now that the system merger is complete. Why? I find it very hard to accept the attitude of 3 in this matter. They appear not to have noticed that money is tight and people need an easy downgrade option in order for them to save money. My advice to TiG is, if you like the quality of 3's network, move to 3's sub-brand Smarty.

There is a caveat to my comments. According to 3: "Three is the fourth-largest mobile network operator in the United Kingdom, with about 10.3 million subscribers as of May 2023". This means that less than 0.0012% of 3's customer base has posted here. The percentage is even smaller when you remove the couple of thousand who joined for the prize draw and never came back.

It also explains why the moderators only appear occasionally as they have other tasks within 3 and why at Christmas or New Year no one from 3 said thanks for the effort.