cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you receive a phone from three you didn't order and you are asked to return it, it is a scam

andreapisauro
Regular

about a month and half ago, I received a call from someone pretending to be a 3 representatives and offering me deals. I occasionally receive calls like this from 3 so it didn't sound suspicious. After telling him that I did not want to upgrade my phone, he offered me a sim only deal slightly cheaper than what I was paying now. So I said I was interested. I don't remember what exactly happened but I believe I asked to make an order for this sim only deal. I was told I would receive the sim the following day.

The following day I got a call in the morning from the same number advising me that a package with a new sim would arrive in the afternoon. Later in the afternoon a package from three arrived and it included a sim and an iphone. I was surprised as I never ordered the iphone. Shortly afterwards, the same guy called me again saying the iphone was delivered by mistake and whether he could arrange someone to pick it up. I said I wouldn't be home and then I was told I would receive a QR label and if I could please send the iphone through the post office. I received the QR label through a whatsapp number called three.co.uk.

I genuinely believed the error was real as the delivery was indeed from Three and it happened at the time I was supposed to receive the new sim. The guy on the phone looked like a somewhat incompetent employee eager to sort out his own mess. So I complied and send back the iphone through the QR label.

A few days later I logged onto my account and saw an iphone package. I recognised it was linked to the delivery I received and I immediately contacted three customer service which therefore detected the fraud.

The thing that worried me particularly was that whoever called me had access to my three account and could order the iphone that I received and then sent back to the fraudster.

Be aware that if you receive a phone you didn't order, it is likely to be a fraud.

22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Without taking sides,one part of your post resonated with me more than others. The fact that nobody seems to take ownership of your issue and you can be put on the advisor merry go round,telling the same tale of woe a multitude of times.Can totally identify with that. 

I genuinely wish you good luck getting things sorted.

Mike2024
Active

Yes it would be better if one advisor handled the case from start to finish, that would also be much more efficient for Three.

One other thing i didn't mention which is also very stressful - I must have had about 10 texts from Three over the past few weeks, including one today, which all say 'Your query is now closed'. With absolutely no explanation of what it means and nothing mentioned on the account.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Had a taste of that myself !

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Mike2024,

That's really disappointing to hear about your experiences in obtaining support and updates regarding this.

In case there's still no progress, I'll send you a PM to get you in touch with some more help.

To view your private messages on the community, click on your avatar image in the top right of any community page, then "Messages".

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

Mike2024
Active

Thanks Jonathan

Mike2024
Active

Just for anyone reading this, the latest is that I've been told there is a backlog of cases that Three are trying to get through. They need more staff!

My experience over the past 10 weeks tells me that the staff we customers can talk to are all extremely helpful and do their best. But all they can really do is put notes on the system which unfortunately it seems that the finance and investigation departments have no time to read.

Customer complaints advisors have reassured me three times that the scam upgrades will be removed from my account within 72 hours - the last time I was told that was May 1st.

Three have confirmed they received the iPhone back from me on 26th April (DPD said 20th) but I am still getting payment reminders for it. Reminders that are apparently "following the Consumer Rights regulations"  

Really Three, are you absolutely sure about that?!

Anonymous
Not applicable

All I can say is it’s clearly woefully inadequate customer service and as a fellow customer I can only hope you get sorted sooner rather than later. But it does leave a bitter aftertaste I’m sure.

Mike2024
Active

Developed an ulcer with the stress of it all.. More relaxed now that it is all apparently down to a backlog but as I am responsible for FCA compliance at my place of work I am well aware that Three are pushing the boundaries on those and Consumer Rights regulations. If my 'debt' gets passed to a debt collector, as I have read happen to other Three customers, then I know they will be breaking the rules.

Will see..

Mike2024
Active

Right on cue...  today received an email from Three saying that if I don't pay up (for a phone I didn't order and Three took back a month ago) then they will pass it on to a debt collection agency which will affect me getting credit in future.

This is a breach of FCA regulation CONC 7.14.1

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Mike2024,

I appreciate your frustration, and I've passed on your feedback. I can say with any confirmed fraud, I do expect any credit file impact would be removed for you. I've also highlighted your experience and hopefully that helps get this resolved faster for you.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.