Our new roaming giveaway is live find out more here!
Give us your feedback about how easy you've found getting ready to roam on the above linked article, and you'll be in with the chance to win one of 10, 7 day Go Roam passes to use in Europe and Around the World destinations. Prize draw open till 01 May 2024
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you receive a phone from three you didn't order and you are asked to return it, it is a scam

andreapisauro
Regular

about a month and half ago, I received a call from someone pretending to be a 3 representatives and offering me deals. I occasionally receive calls like this from 3 so it didn't sound suspicious. After telling him that I did not want to upgrade my phone, he offered me a sim only deal slightly cheaper than what I was paying now. So I said I was interested. I don't remember what exactly happened but I believe I asked to make an order for this sim only deal. I was told I would receive the sim the following day.

The following day I got a call in the morning from the same number advising me that a package with a new sim would arrive in the afternoon. Later in the afternoon a package from three arrived and it included a sim and an iphone. I was surprised as I never ordered the iphone. Shortly afterwards, the same guy called me again saying the iphone was delivered by mistake and whether he could arrange someone to pick it up. I said I wouldn't be home and then I was told I would receive a QR label and if I could please send the iphone through the post office. I received the QR label through a whatsapp number called three.co.uk.

I genuinely believed the error was real as the delivery was indeed from Three and it happened at the time I was supposed to receive the new sim. The guy on the phone looked like a somewhat incompetent employee eager to sort out his own mess. So I complied and send back the iphone through the QR label.

A few days later I logged onto my account and saw an iphone package. I recognised it was linked to the delivery I received and I immediately contacted three customer service which therefore detected the fraud.

The thing that worried me particularly was that whoever called me had access to my three account and could order the iphone that I received and then sent back to the fraudster.

Be aware that if you receive a phone you didn't order, it is likely to be a fraud.

8 REPLIES 8
Paddiewack
Superstar

Last paragraph is a salutary reminder that we all need to keep our wits about us,if it sounds too good then assume its dodgy until it’s proven to be otherwise.

Chris1
Regular

A cautionary tale to always beware of random callers offering free gifts - and as panicked as they may sound (this is part of the ruse) don't ever follow their instructions to return the phone to them with a QR code or otherwise. Hold onto the delivered package, do not send it to anyone or anywhere they tell you to.

Stop, think and call 3 on 333 from your 3UK mobile phone, and then you'll know you will be talking to the genuine office. Or use a contact number you see on the 3 website.

The way the scam works is that whatever address you send it to will be controlled by the scammers (or their associates) and the phones will be taken abroad to be unlocked/sold, and you'll be footing the bill for it.

It's interesting they now try and use a QR code in order to be able to perhaps disguise the address of where it is to be sent to. In previous times they'd just give you the address to send it to and ask you to ship it via the post office.

Mike2024
Regular

I was nearly a victim of same scam - didn't send iPhone off although it's taking a long time for Three to organise its return and cancel the device on my account - 7 weeks now.  How it works - the scammers call and offer a deal, ask for your email address to confirm it. Email arrives looking exactly like an official Three email so all looks legit. They phone and you accept the offer - whilst on the phone to you they access the Three webchat and request an email change to your account. Webchat then send a security code to your phone - the scammer says HE has sent a code to your phone and you of course tell him what it is - makes it seem even more legit at the time. He then changes your email and places an order for the iPhone. Because of this email change you get no confirmation of the order from Three. He also asks for your bank card details for a 'security deposit' which will be refunded.. He then gets confirmation through this new email address of when the iPhone will arrive and calls you soon after to 'apologise' for the mistake. Sounds ridiculous but trust me it is all very very convincing at the time!   The return address is provided and you are asked to provide a photo of the package as well as photos of both post office receipts for Special Delivery. He says they will refund the postage costs and as a gesture of goodwill provide 6 months free on the sim.

Fortunately for me I was suspicious about the address so googled it and nothing came up so I told him I was going to take it to a Three store (turned out later that after wasting hours driving around that you can't do that). I then got bombarded by phone calls trying to convince me it was all legit (last number googled up as an Edinburgh restaurant!) I hung up each time and then called the police. They investigated the address but could find nothing suspicious about it. My guess is that the scammers use the photo of the post office receipts to get it redirected. Possibly even use them and the package photo to also apply for lost package compensation? They tried to use my card details the next day to purchase something and also a direct debt appeared on my account. So they obviously try to maximise every penny out of the scam! I've then had numerous scam calls to my phone ever since, so it must have been circulated around the dark web.. Police advised me to sign up with Clear Score to keep an eye on things. What a nightmare!  I have to say that although the Three customer service and fraud team are all extremely good and competent and nice to speak with, I am concerned over the length of time and numerous calls/chats it has taken to sort - far more stressful than dealing with the scammers!  I've been told I'll get a returns email soon, fingers crossed..

andreapisauro
Regular

Thanks @Mike2024 it's all very similar to what happened to me. I just don't understand how can they access my three account in the first place to open the chat as the only thing I am sure is that I didn't provide them with a password.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for sharing your experiences and helping raise awareness about this type of fraud @andreapisauro@Mike2024.

The scammers won't necessarily have logged into your account, they could have started a webchat, or called into one of our phone lines. Rest assured, we're working to combat these scams.

Thanks,
Jonathan

We'd like to hear your feedback! Let us know how easy you find it to get ready to Roam, and be in with a chance to win 7 days of free Roaming Passes – find out more here!

Mike2024
Regular

@andreapisauro  just wondering if you have now sorted it all out?

It's now nearly 8 weeks for me, the phone has been returned to Three but it still shows on my account along with a 30gb package which I also didn't order and Three are chasing me for overdue payments.

Not sure what to do next. If I try to cancel it says I'll be due them £564 for the contract and £1400 for the iPhone.

Hi @Mike2024 yes in the sense that Three investigated and found out the fraud and ended the contract of the fraud so from next month I will have a similar contract as the previous one. So yes, Three sorted out for me. Go to a Three store and explain what happened to you as soon as you can!

Mike2024
Regular

That's good to know thanks.

Although the two Three stores I went to - 2 hour drive - both said they couldn't help and it had to go through Customer Services.  Hopefully sorted soon, very worrying!