cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motorola G6 - Data but no voice calls

Skey

I pay for 5 phones a month, one of which is for my mother-in-law who is 87. Her phone (Motorola G6) is supposedly 4G compatible (I checked last time she came to visit, she lives about 100 miles away) but today, whilst she had data and was able to call via Whatsapp, she couldn't make or receive any voice calls. She travelled into town and spoke to someone at the Three store who told her she needed a new Sim card but she needed ID. She travels back, gets her passport and then obviously she doesn't get a new Sim because she isn't the account holder. In the end, I call up and get someone on the phone who tells me that the whilst the phone is 4G, it isn't compatible with the network because it doesn't handle VoLTE so, tough... Can I put you through to the channel where you can buy a new phone. 

Anyone else have this problem or is it something specific to this phone. I know it is hardly the latest Samsung or iPhone but its fine for her needs and isn't more than about 3 years old. 

4 REPLIES 4
woodnth

Yes, my Moto g6 play also stopped making and receiving calls a few days ago. I'm on 3 Mobile. Went to their local shop and they showed me that my phone settings have no option for VOLTE and so voice calls cannot be made. Seems ridiculous, but who is responsible, the manufacturer or the network provider?

Geluk
Key player

See my post*; I have same phone. 3 CHAT told me 4g phones won't work when 3g shuts unless they have VOLTE enabled. My Moto g6 doesn't have that option.

*https://community.three.co.uk/t5/Network/3g-shut-down-emasculating-4g-phone-s-calling-abilities/td-p...

woodnth

That's right. If you go on Three's Device Support page it shows Moto g6 as lacking VOLTE ability. So, time for a new phone.

Geluk
Key player

Apparently any Android phone's VOLTE settings can be seen by inputting:-

*#*#4636#*#*