cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Three Mobile Network promotion team?

Stouline
Regular

I have recently received calls for a very attractive promotion from this number 02** *** **** ( claiming to be the promotion team) and would like to check if it is a scam or genuine number please?

Offer is for a new phone and renewal of my contract for 2 years.

Moderator note, number removed for customer protection. Three don't use 02 landline codes to call our customers

16 REPLIES 16
sc1999
Local celebrity
Stouline
Regular

Thanks I’ll do the necessary actions tomorrow but for now I have blocked my card and no money was taken.

They are still sending email saying that my new phone will arrive tomorrow. I’m still wondering could they be a small phone operator that Three is commissioning to upgrade clients so they don’t have to deal with it. 

sc1999
Local celebrity

No, absolutely not. If you are not sure if it's Three then hang up and call customer services on 333. A reputable business should not be upset if you do this.

sc1999
Local celebrity

Please let us know what happens; did a phone arrive?

The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

Stouline
Regular

Hi Superstar,

Guess what? The phone just arrived from DPD but not the exact model haha. 
This morning I called Three and my bank anyway so I should be ok but I’ll just see how far these people are going when they phone me back to activate the sim or whatever. I’ll ultimately send the phone back but they are quite convincing. The phone IMEI is ok.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Stouline,

The scenario you've been facing does sound a lot like what we describe here: Mobile phone contract fraud (three.co.uk)

There's been cases of fraud where criminals impersonate a sales team, collect the details needed to place an order online for a different phone than discussed. Then follow up, acknowledging the "mistake" and arranging for the phone to be picked up or sent on to another address.

Particularly with the incorrect phone delivered, and the confusion over whether you were talking to Three or a 3rd party on the initial cold call this does seems similar. Did our team confirm they could see an upgrade, or any new contract taken out in your details?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

Stouline
Regular

Thanks for the link.

It’s not exactly the same scenario but still too far fetched. In my case they didn’t call saying it’s the wrong phone I had to tel them. The. They didn’t ask me to send to an address but said they will arrange collection and finally no upfront money was paid. 
I told them I want to delete this offer and they are scam people he took his time to say no with loads of explanation and even told me to phone Three to ask them to confirm they work with their service provider Reward Mobile. But that if I want to cancel it’s not a prob. So he will call back today to get my final word.

It’s definitely a NO go for me now, but wanted to face them and call them out on it.

sc1999
Local celebrity

Good news. I have just looked at Reward Mobile's site and they only sell 3. I use Affordable Mobiles and they are a lot cheaper than Reward.

homasabett
Fledgling

the same exact thing happened to us, incredibly cheap price and they said this was because we are long term customers, me and my father both got sent iPhone 14 pluses and it got collected the next day but our phones didn't arrive. we contacted three and are figuring out a way. its crazy how advance these scams have gotten, I even rang a three agent and she said the phones were on the way, its ridiculous and you don't know who to believe..