cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4g reception

CorbyDave
Regular

Hi all. I have an XTE 5g modem and get great speeds. I will be going on holiday shortly to a site that has no Wi-Fi. The 3uk coverage map says that there is ‘good service’ on 4g but no 5g. If I take my modem will it automatically connect to 4g or do I have to change some settings?

Alternatively I could put my modem sim in my 5g phone and use it as an access point, but would this work and is it permitted under Three’s terms and conditions?

Thanks in advance,    Dave 

Best solution
Best solution
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

That's correct @kingofdata, usually in the network settings for a device, there'll be a network selection or network mode option that defaults to automatic. If required, this can be changed to manually connect to 3G,4G, or 5G only, but it's normally best to just leave this on automatic.

JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

View solution in conversation

7 REPLIES 7
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the Three Community.

Your router should connect to 4G automatically if no 5G signal is available, and it's still on the default settings.

And in the 2nd situation yes you certainly can use a data SIM with your mobile too. It won't make calls but using data and hotspotting will be supported as normal.

Hope you have a great holiday! 😀 

JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

CorbyDave
Regular

Thanks Jonathan

kingofdata
Regular

it should all phones and modems are set up in such a way that if one network is unavalible it will switch to the other

Best solution
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

That's correct @kingofdata, usually in the network settings for a device, there'll be a network selection or network mode option that defaults to automatic. If required, this can be changed to manually connect to 3G,4G, or 5G only, but it's normally best to just leave this on automatic.

JonathanB

How do i change its manually?

PeteG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Settings for the Hubs can be accessed through the dashboard using a web browser or using the app, if your Hub has an app. You can find the address, user name, and password for accessing the dashboard on the bottom or back label of the Hub.

Pete.

CorbyDave
Regular

Thanks