cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G broadband router

Axel006
Regular
  1. My 5g ZTE router needs constant resetting, when it works, it works well, I need to reboot it at least 2..3 times a day which is fine. But some days it go so bad that it needs rebooting like every 5 minutes which is crazy. I can't have online meetings, can't watch YouTube, can't play online games, it's soo bad. The sim itself has no issues but the router is just crap. Looking at the issue faced by others, I think it has something to do with the firmware. Is it possible to just downgrade the firmware to the last know stable version? Also where can I find it?
7 REPLIES 7
Limera
Active

Good question about firmware rollbacks.  Can you even stop updates from automatically applying themselves if you were to roll back though?  I hope you get some stability with your connection.  I have the Zyxel router but almost daily resets seemed to be required for a while here too.  I wish I was more tech savvy!

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hey @Limera,

If you're using a router supplied by us Firmware updates are controlled on our end. I appreciate there's quite a few posts from users blaming Firmware, but I've raised and continue to raise feedback in this regard and we've never uncovered evidence of a software issue. If we do sort out a rollback, we'd wait until we've troubleshooted before delivering the update again though.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

Limera
Active

Thanks for confirming that @JonathanB.  I'm sure there is plenty of testing goes on before a firmware release goes out, and as far as possible i'm a fan of fixing forward over rolling back.

May be worth a shot resetting back to factory setting and setting it back up again if you have the time.  Perhaps no difference, but you can at least rule out having accidentally ticked some rogue setting whilst tinkering.  Not that I would ever have done such a thing...

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Axel006,

There's theories on the community that this is firmware related but over the course of time the same issues have been reported on different routers including some that aren't actually Three supplied.

The issue may be indicative of issues with the network capacity, or you may be experiencing occasional dips in coverage.

The tech teams may be able to help roll back firmware, but they would only do this if there's a confirmed issue. Have you been in touch with the Broadband team? You'll find options to call or chat on our contact us page.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

Axel006
Regular

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for your reply 😊. Just want to confirm that I do have a router supplied by three (NR5103E). I think the easiest way would be trying to find the first complaint on this issue, finding the firmware released at the time and then downgrading it to the one released before. It could just be a hardware issue from the manufacturer or something like a hardware defect amplified by some new security updates In the newer firmware. I understand due to random nature of this issue, it's pretty hard to replicate this issue on your testing side. So better option could just be using me/ other users who are having similar issues and willing to cooperate with the testing team and to find the root cause of the issue.

Thanks for the contact details 😊I'll contact the team, test various firmwares and update my results 

Blaineyboy88
Regular

You only have to look at this forum to see that numerous customers have issues with the ZTE router dropping connections regularly during the day.  It suggests that the kit is not fit for purpose or it can’t handle usage through 3’s network.

I spoke to support at the time, they sent a replacement router and I had a new sim but same problems exist.quickly stopped using by ZTE router and went back to my Hauwei CPE 5G Pro and I’ve had a constant connection. 

Appreciate this is out of your control but I’d like to think the powers that be are aware of the feedback and multiple issues that a number of customers are experiencing before they sign up to deals with new companies. 

CJ1978
Fledgling

Hello.

Similar issues here in NE Bristol. I have the NR5103E but have to regularly turn off and on again to regain the performance. It keeps a fairly good 40-50mbps (which is all I need) but it can be outstanding at around 200+mbps. The real issue is the constant dropping to 1-5 Mbps where a restart is required. Nearly a daily occurrence. We had a local power blip recently and that dropped the performance immediately. Again a turn off and in again sorted it. It is a little frustrating in an otherwise decent service.