cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5g Hub started great - now very slow speeds + unreliable connection

joespa89
Regular

I got a three 5G hub last month after making the switch from regular broadband. Speeds and reliability were great, anywhere between 150-300mbs dl, and no drops. 

Until today when I noticed that my work VPN kept dropping (I WFH). Now I can barely get a stable connection, despite the app saying I have 5/5 strength signal, and nothing changed in terms of setup. I phoned support twice who assured me that them resetting it from their side would fix things, as well as cleaning the sim. I was skeptical given I work in IT, but I gave it a go. No joy, and if anything the performance has got worse. I don't want to phone again to be told to do a factory reset again. Has anyone had any similar issues, and any luck improving the situation? 

I can't even complete a download speed test due to the connection dropping, and a ping test seems to show a fail every 25/30 or so packets. My download speed test on the PS5 has went from 150+mbs to 14.5 mbs. 

I really would like to fix this as I can't get fibre and it was working so well initially, but I might be forced to cancel my contract sooner rather thn later if it doesn't improve quickly.  There just seems no explanation for it. Hub model is NR5103E and firmware version is 1.00(ACBJ.0)b12. 

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help. I really don't want to phone support again to be told to factory reset!

43 REPLIES 43
Cherenjeet
Regular

Use three's network status checker to see if there is any ongoing maintenance in your area

joespa89
Regular

Hi, 

I've done this, no reported maintenance or outages.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @joespa89,

Thanks for confirming this, do you use Three for your mobile too, or have an unlocked 5G phone? It may help to test if either a Three phone SIM, or by testing your router SIM in a mobile whether this seems to be a drop in speeds for the local network overall, or just with your router?

JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Waste of time. It's not maintained 

techbloke
Active

Make sure the hub is as high as possible and near a window as you want as clear a line of sight as possible between it and the serving cell.

It may also be a session issue, unplug router from power for two minutes then plug it back in.

joespa89
Regular

Hi, it's literally on a windowsill, and the position hasn't changed since it was working really well. 

I've tried unplugging and leaving for a period of time, not to mention numerous factory resets. 

Anvil_Iron
Rising star

Hi, Maybe the router needs to move location. Use the Three 5G broadband app to find this. If it's downstairs, try it upstairs.

What happens with the router SIM in a phone, inside and outside?

Have you tried changing the Preferred Access Technology to just 4G or manually setting the frequency bands in the web configurator?

Do you see a drop in speeds during the day but improve at night?

joespa89
Regular

Hi there, 

Thanks for your suggestions - I live in a flat so no upstairs or downstairs. The Hub is currently in a windowsil, with 5/5 strength - like I say it was performing brilliantly there up until yesterday. The app still shows strong signal strength, despite me running diagnostics separately to see the connection dropping with a ping check. 

What happens with the router SIM in a phone, inside and outside? - Tried the sim in my phone, and it works fine. Which makes me believe it might be a hardware issue. However, using the phone as a hotspot does result in the same performance connection wise, which makes me think there is a wider issue with Three in my area (despite the website saying there isn't.). 

Preferred access technology - No I haven't tried this. Can you advise of steps? I'm not sure I want to be relying on 4g for my home wifi however.. 

Drop in speeds during the day / improve at night - No, the performance has been consistently bad throughout day and night since yesterday.

Anvil_Iron
Rising star

Network Setting > Broadband > Cellular Band > Preferred Access Technology > 4G.

If it does work, put back to 5G to see what happens.

Otherwise try setting the bands. Go back to Home > Cellular Info and note down the bands used in the Cellular Info page. Mine use B1, B3 and n78.

Go to Network Setting > Broadband > Cellular Band > disable Auto Band Selection

Select the bands in the list and Apply. You can also try omitting one of the B bands but n78 remains for 5G.

Another possible problem with the weather getting warmer and the router being by the window is overheating.

I guess the only way to check if it's a router problem is to plug it in another property.  

If router works then as you said, Three are probably doing work to the mast but status not updated.