cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Three 5G Router not Recognising SIM

Provoke8505
Fledgling

From CeX, I purchased a used Zyxel NR5103E 5G Wireless Router

Once it came it had Three branding on it.

Setting it up with an unlimited Three SIM card inserted (that allows for use in a router in the T&Cs) results in the wireless indicator light flashing blue signalling "No or invalid SIM is inserted"

Could, the router be locked to the SIM card that is came with?

Thanks.

• 5G
3 REPLIES 3
EngineerMelissa
Employee
Employee

Hi Provoke8505,

From my understanding (I could be wrong here as this is not my area of specialty) that normal contract SIM card will not function unless it's a Three Mobile Broadband SIM, again I could be mistaken on this but from what I remember this might be the reason why you are getting the current error message.

Kind Regards,
Melissa

StephR
Employee
Employee

Hi Provoke8505, thanks for joining us here on Three Community.

It's strange that the router you bought came with Three branding. As per our Terms and Conditions, our 5G routers remain the property of Three at all times and should be returned to us when a contract is ended. 

It's therefore possible that the IMEI of the router has been blocked, as it should have been returned to us. I'd recommend contacting the retailer to discuss this and arrange a return of the router to them. 

If the retailer can confirm that the router isn't blacklisted, then there's a few things to check. First of all, try removing the SIM card and ensuring it's inserted correctly. Once that's done, try restarting the router. If you're still having issues at this point, let us know and we'll figure out the next best steps to help move things forward. 

StephR

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query. 

SethBot
Fledgling

How would I check if a unit has been blocked is there are website where one can enter the IMEI and see if it's been blacklisted or a number to call? A web page would be the simplest.

Also, it says here https://www.three.co.uk/Support/Device_Unlock that devices sold AFTER 2014 are not locked? 

Here it talks about unlocking 5G modems. https://community.three.ie/t5/Handsets-Devices/Unlock-Huawei-Modems/ta-p/520181

I'm after a 5G modem ideally unlocked so I can use Three or other SIMs and use it abroad where roaming is expensive.