cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turning off 3G

Col33
Active

My 2 year contract is due to end in February and I am reviewing my options on renewing. The biggest issue I have at the moment is the switching off of 3G by the end of the year.

Currently I have my router set to 3G only and get 30mb download and 3mb upload. If I switch my router to 4G only the download drops to 9mb and upload to 1mb.

I'm reluctant to agree to a new contract if the plans are to switch of 3G but not boost/increase the 4G in my area. According to the network coverage checker I have:- 

Yes - Very good service
Great news – 4G is in your area. If your device is 4G calling compatible, you’ll have very good 4G coverage for calls, texts, and mobile internet. 

However this is not the case as my router proves. Can anyone provide me with confidence that 4G will be improved prior to the switch off?

Thanks.

20 REPLIES 20
sc1999
Local celebrity

I have the same problem and my contract ends in March. 3 have been improving the service and it has gone from p*** poor to poor. My phone still drops to 3g but is now, mostly, 4g. Unfortunately all of the networks, in my area, are poor and I have not decided what to do next. I will be getting the cheapest 10Gb sim from the other networks and testing which offers the best speed and call quality. I suggest you try the same. O2 are turning their 3g off in 2025. I am lucky that I have fast FTTP so I only need phone coverage. 

In answer to your question I do not think anyone can provide you with any guarantee that 3 will give you anything other than minimum 4g coverage. 3 Do not give any information about future works other than saying they "are continuously improving our network".

Col33
Active

Thanks sc1999. I'm in a rural area and my closest neighbours also have issues. Most of them on EE and get the same of less than what I'm getting. O2 signal is worse and Vodaphone is about the same as Three.

FTTP was promised by OpenReach in 2019 but they have not put in the infrastructure and as its for a total of 9 properties and a farm, I doubt we will be getting it anytime soon.

My issue is, if I sign up with Three for another 2 years and 8 months into that contract my speed drops from 30mb to 9mb then I believe I should be able to leave without penalty! 

lukefowler2023
Fledgling

3G areas should have 4G coverage added when the 3G is removed

sc1999
Local celebrity

Should have but no guarantee of speed. 3 have invested in my area but I only get 15meg download which is the slowest of all networks. 15meg is better than the 3-4 I used to get but does not get close to 3's "fastest 5g network" claim.

Col33
Active

I'm just hoping that my speed does not get worse when 3G is switched off. I am happy with the 30mb considering I got maximum of 7mb on a copper line.

Col33
Active

According to their coverage site, 4G is in my area but my router and speed checks prove its worse than 3G. If they use the coverage as a guide and don't improve 4G before switching off 3G then I will get a worse service.

lukefowler2023
Fledgling

when 3G is turned off that capacity will be converted into extra 4G capacity

sc1999
Local celebrity

And 5g, according to 3.

Col33
Active

Fingers crossed that is correct for 4G, I doubt we will see 5G in rural areas for many years if at all.