cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the wireless 5G home hub to make and receive calls

Phil53124
Regular

I have discovered that it is possible to connect a normal landline phone to my 5G home hub router (ZTE888) to make and receive calls.  As it is a DECT phone, I can then have multiple extensions, giving me the multi-room equivalent of the land line service I used to have. 

However, currently the home hub is offered as a data only service, and you will be charged if you make 'out of plan' calls, even though the Terms and Conditions you're sent say they will be free to non-premium numbers.

I have suggested to Three that allowing calls to be made and received via the home hub SIM would make their 5g home hub package even more attractive. 

However, I think it will take more than me to persuade them.

So if you agree, please like or reply.

@

Best solution
Best solution
Phil53124
Regular

Jonathan,

I want to use it like a land line, with multiple extensions in different rooms.  

I think there are a lot of land line users who are put off from using the Home Hub, because it means they will no longer have a home phone number or the convenience of not having to take a phone with you when you move around your house.  So you should really ask non-home hub users what's putting them off.  For me, the other big one was losing all internet coverage.  For that reason me and my partner have moved one of our mobiles to a provider that doesn't use the Three Network 

Also, since the home hub has a data connection, it must also have a voice and SMS connection too .

View solution in conversation

6 REPLIES 6
Phil53124
Regular

Three seem to be missing a trick, as I think many home owners enjoy the convenience of using multiple DECT phone extensions from a single land line home phone number.  This would provide an  equivalent, but much cheaper, service using the hub SIM as your home number. 

This would also mean you could continue to use the DECT phones you had with our land line.

Added to which, if you move home, you can take the hub and home number with you.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hey @Phil53124,

I have passed this feedback on from couple of community members, but as you say it'll take more for us to consider this sort of change. I can see your point of view, but to use the service, you do need mobile coverage, and also we support Wi-Fi calling.

I'd be really interested to see how many customers do agree with you though.

Thanks for passing on the suggestion and feedback

Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

Best solution
Phil53124
Regular

Jonathan,

I want to use it like a land line, with multiple extensions in different rooms.  

I think there are a lot of land line users who are put off from using the Home Hub, because it means they will no longer have a home phone number or the convenience of not having to take a phone with you when you move around your house.  So you should really ask non-home hub users what's putting them off.  For me, the other big one was losing all internet coverage.  For that reason me and my partner have moved one of our mobiles to a provider that doesn't use the Three Network 

Also, since the home hub has a data connection, it must also have a voice and SMS connection too .

Steve3
Fledgling

My solution was to use the three 5g SIM data only hub for broadband, I must say it peforms really well. Then bought this for my landline connection with a cheap £4.99 per month SIm with unlimited calls and text plus 5gig of data on a 30 day contract. See below.

HUAWEI Unlocked B311s-221 4G/LTE Router VOIP VPN Bridge Mode (White). Inc 1 x External Antenna. Works with any Sim Worldwide (Renewed

Gregory1965
Fledgling

This would be a good idea as the Router could be used as a failover router if the main Fibre Optic service goes down and still allow phone calls to be made via a standard landline phone plugged into the Three Home Hub.

DWCBailey
Fledgling

Can the DECT connection be used to distribute the internet round the home? I find that the Three hub's wifi is woefully weak and  adding extenders slows everything down, being able to use the old phone extensions would be an ideal way of extending coverage