cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZTE MC801A: Can I use a WiFi antenna with the ports to achieve a better position?

user0987
Regular

I have the following conundrum: I can put the router by a window which gives me nice 5G signal and speeds but terrible wifi reception. Or I can move the router just 3 metres towards the internal door to get excellent wifi but bad 5G.

Before getting a wifi repeater, my (possibly dumb) thinking is that I could solve my problem by keeping the router to the good 5G location and connect a WiFi antenna with a 3 metre long cable and place it by the door where the wifi is good.

Is that doable? Can I connect a wifi antenna on the ZTE MC801A TS9 ports? Or this would destroy my 5g? I was looking something like this:

1. TS9 to SMA Adapter: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eightwood-Antenna-Adapter-External-Vodafone-SMA-TS9-Right-angle-30cm/dp/B09...

2. 2.5, 5 and 5.8G antenna: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eightwood-Omnidirectional-Antenna-Magnetic-Extension/dp/B0B2DD5K5H

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Avondale
Rising star
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @user0987,

To my understanding a lot of speed can be lost when using external antennas, so we don't recommend them. There was some testing by our Broadband teams but they weren't able to produce satisfying enough results for us to support them officially. Some community members have definitely mentioned using them in the past though.

Some community members have also recommended various point/puck/mesh devices with the router in bridge mode though. Perhaps a solution with the router by the window, and extender(s) or other access point(s) will work for you?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

Threlly
Involved

External antennas can help, but you have to get the EXACT antenna, otherwise you won’t see any benefit.
Nor will an external antenna help with the dreadful contention that Three have allowed to build up on the network.
No amount of antennas will fix profiteering and under-investment.

As far as the MC801 is concerned be very very careful, the TS9 connectors will break.
If you fit the SMA adaptors, tape them to the body and NEVER move them and never try to remove them, the TS9’s have zero strain relief and will snap off the board, destroying all 5G signal capture in the process.

5G in this country is a mess, to get a 5G connection you still need to have a 4G connection first, unlike in other countries that have implemented full-fat proper 5G.
So even if you have the external antenna you’ll still need the internal 4G antennas to be capable of seeing a good 4G signal.
Yep, it’s a mess.
Router Mods do a pricey conversion of the MC801 but it WILL void your Three warranty and Three might charge you the full cost of the router if you have a problem, and trust me, they will.
Router Mods will also supply the correct antenna instead of Amazon guesswork.

Personally, I have have to put my MC801 outside on a window ledge to get a good signal, yup, Three really are that bad.