cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Three Modem ZTE MC888 to your 5G Outdoor Router with Eero 6.

NevG
Fledgling

I live in an area of Bolton where it's only possible to receive a 5G broadband signal outdoors and 4G only indoors. I live in  bungalow and a couple of months ago I moved the ZTE MC888 router to a position as high in the loft as I could get it. Lo and behold I got a good 5G signal. (My contract with Three is for 5G broadband).  Unfortunately every now and then it reverted to 4G briefly. Recently Three informed me that they were doing some work on the masts and now I can only get 4G in the loft and no 5G whatsoever.  These are the masts on Crompton Way and Winchester Way in Bolton. Something is preventing me getting 5G and I am wondering whether an external aerial could improve the signal strength. Unfortunately there's no aerial connection on the  MC888 router so that's not possible. Is there a mechanism in Three where my current contract can be renewed in favour of your 5G Outdoor modem? I spent nearly 2 hours on the phone this afternoon to your customer services, sales, then technical services getting nowhere with this query. I'm happy to extend my contract as the current one expires in August 2025 so has less than 12 months to run.

3 REPLIES 3
MichaelP
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hello @NevG,

Thanks for reaching out to us and for sharing this info.

We understand it's not ideal to not have a 5G connection with your 5G Broadband subscription. 

When you spoke to our support teams regarding trying a 5G Outdoor Hub, what was advised?

Thanks,
Michael

NevG
Fledgling

Thanks for response and I apologise for the delay in replying to it.

I was told it could not be done and that I would have to upgrade now by taking out a new 2 year contract and paying an early termination fee of approximately £250. Either that or wait until my current contract expires next year. That's without knowing whether it would work. 

What makes me more angry is that I was getting an adequate 5G signal with the MC888 in my loft with a brief reversion to 4G very spasmodically.  I went away for 4 weeks and left it connected. During this time I received messages from Three informing me that work was to start on the 5G transmitters in my area. (BL2 postcodes). Since I came home on September 24th I found that I cannot now receive 5G, only 4G with a very variable download speed.

Thinking it may be a router glitch I took it to places near the transmitters, two of them fairly close together would you believe, and the router picked up the 5G signals immediately. 

Today, as it's not raining for once, I want to try the MC888 outdoors in various positions to see if it picks up a 5G signal. Will report back.

NevG
Fledgling

I've checked outside all around my house ( a bungalow) for a 5G signal with my MC888 router. Especially at the gable end which faces the two closely sited 5G transmitters. I've tried as high as possible but nowhere can I get a 5G signal.

I was getting a decent 5G signal with the router in my loft before I went away on August 27th.  I returned on September 24th and since I can only get 4G. SO WHAT'S HAPPENED? I was informed by email that some work was being carried out on the transmitters, presumably maintenance work or even upgrades but whatever has been done has prevrnted me receiving 5G. I'm not happy at all and would like some answers,