cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Block specific Devices?

Stress3d
Fledgling

Hi, I'll try keep my issue plain and simple which may make it long winded but in short, I can't block specific Devices on the new router. 

In long..... so I had a different Three Router and when I went onto the 192.168.0.1 and put in the username/password, a list of connected devices would show and I could select allow or block the access to the conenction. 

Which was great because I could block my kids (6) devices (phones x6/tablets x6/nintendo switches x3) at 9pm when it was bedtime and give them it again at 7am. I had this router for 24 months with no issues. 

2 weeks ago however when the 24 month ended, I upgraded the router to the NR5103EV2. 

Plugged it in, used the password to connect to the Internet under the router and everyone was connected within minutes. No issues......until I logged into 192.168.1.1 and used the username/password. 

Can't for the life of me block specific Devices on it. I've searched Google and Three community for 2 weeks. I spoke to someone on the phone at Three who couldn't understand the question of blocking a certain device from having access. Rang again today and the lady couldn't get the idea either and was more concerned that the router wasn't working and I was having issues connecting when I took her several times the router was fine and I was connected but wanted to block specific Devices and she said she will pass me to someone else and hung up on me. 

Rang back and spoke to a guy who straight away knew the issue and said he's had people call about it but wasn't any help. His solution was to change the password which would restrict other devices but when I said I had the tv connected, several cctv cameras linked to it, my own tablet n phone, plus the wife's tablet and phone and didn't wanna be messing reseting cctv cameras passwords morning and night he said he can only suggest changing the password so all the kids devices are not able to connect. 

Surely there's a way, the router didn't come with instructions and I can't make any sense of it online. 

I tried to do something with the mac filter but that blocked my phone and I had to go on the wife's phone to try n unblock me but it blocked hers and we needed to reset the router back to factory settings and start again. 

This is my last option and failing this,.I'm guna have to switch back to the old router because I can't be changing passwords every morning and night 🤷‍♂️ 

Thanks in advance 

1 REPLY 1
PeteG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hello. 

Welcome to the Three Community. 

Sadly, I don't have a router to hand to test, but I believe the setting that you would be looking for on the Zyxel device is the MAC filter. 

Setting up a MAC filter allows you to block and allow certain devices from being able to use the network. Checking on the Zyxel website, their routers also have a parental control feature, I'm unsure if that's on your device, but it's worth looking for that, as that would offer a similar function but would allow you to more easily block and allow devices on a schedule. 

Pete.