cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got a sim with new upgrade Phone

DownsC
Fledgling

Hey I just upgraded my device on my contract but when the delivery came it came with a new Monthly Sim Card. But I want to keep my old number on my old sim, can I just use the old Sim or do I need use the new one that came with the device? 

6 REPLIES 6
PeteG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hello there. 

Welcome to the Three Community. 

We often provide a new SIM when upgrading. The number isn't changed during the process, it's just a replacement to the existing SIM. 

Switching over to the new SIM is best 🙂

Pete.

marie1970
Fledgling

but I need to keep this number for work ??

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @marie1970,

Sorry if there's been any confusion. We do send a new SIM with upgrades in case a different size is required, and also because it's best to replace your SIM every few years. When you activate the new SIM it should still use the old number.

Or are you saying that you've received a SIM with a completely different number? Let us know which is the case and we'll do our best to help.

JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

JamesP
Fledgling

Hi JonathanB I also received a new SIM with my upgrade but it has a new number. So I put my old SIM in so I could keep my number but today it stopped working in the new phone so I have had to put it back in the old phone for now (and it works) the new SIM will only call out and has a different number 

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @JamesP,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you here. Did you manage to get help with this in the meantime? As @PeteG mentioned before, we don't change numbers as part of an upgrade, the new SIM should just be a replacement in case the old SIM is wearing out, or you need a different size SIM for example.

We do also provide free PAYG SIMs with orders, in case you want a spare number, or to give to a friend/family member, so I've seen that cause this sort of mix up before.

A working SIM really should work in both the old and new phone too if you've upgraded directly with us and both phones are in working order.

Please let us know if there's been any further developments and if you still need any help.

JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

GJ
Fledgling

I have just received my phone upgrade today but it appears that I have been sold a new contract as the sim in the new phone has a different number. I have tried to sort this via live chat and phone calls but nobody seems to care or answer my questions, 

One person told me that I would keep my existing number but this hasn’t happened so feel let down and will be forced to cancel my contract