cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung S22 Ultra Wifi Calling dosen't work

Red
Regular

Hi, trying to get Wifi calling turned on my device.

Unfortunately, my first few days on Three haven’t been great,
official support haven’t been helpful claimed that “it's not something we can guarantee”.

I will mention that I
didn't buy the phone directly from three, but I know for a fact if I did, it would be the exact same phone I have now. In Europe Samsung only sell the exynos version regardless of distributor or phone operator.
So the official support channel’s question of compatibility or availability on specific devices is flat out pointless.
Even ironic the fact that they DO sell this phone given its popular annd was only released last year.

To even further this point, Three themselves claim this is “whenever you are connected to WiFi” on this page.

PLEASE say I am not the only one with this issue.
And how do I fix this? Because three clearly can’t be bothered to help me turning all of what i PAY for on.
Not a good first impression.

Best solution
Best solution
Red
Regular

UPDATE: So turns out this did in fact work. The only way you can see it in action is my either have no reception or switching on WiFi whilst in airplane mode and only then dose the icon appear.

Screenshot_20230217_023929_Device care.jpg

Screenshot_20230217_023842_One UI Home.jpg

None of this Three mentions in their support documentation, they get £20mill in profits a year and have two buildings to themselves, the fact they can't buy the handsets they sell and verify if their support is actually correct is pathetic. I fell sorry that due to this you probably get far more here because three don't have decent support docs and can't be bothered to fact check and have to rely on volunteers for daft enquires like this.

This is complealy Three's fault for not just saying what the phone should do properly and making seemly educated but wrong approximations. Sure, they are not Samsung, but selling their phones must carry some responsibility. Afterall, I would bet 80%+ of all handsets sold are though carriers the loop of carriers reviving new handsets is only from the partnership and profits of the manufacturers to build new phones in the first place. Three should be more responsible and create more truthful and more importantly tested guides. Sort out your docs.

Thanks for all the responses here, your the people holding this network together. Clearly people above just don't care.

View solution in conversation

11 REPLIES 11
sc1999
Local celebrity

There have been a few posts about this. I did not buy my phone from 3, too expensive, it's unlocked and wifi calling is automatic on my S21FE.  There is not an option in the settings to turn it on or off so it may be working but the phone may only default to wifi calling when the mobile signal is weak. This is how it works on mine.

Hope this helps.

PS, when on wifi calling the mobile bars change to a phone icon.

Red
Regular

Screenshot_20230107_120150_Call2.pngScreenshot_20230107_115458_Wi-Fi-Calling2.png

Yeah bought mine from Samsung directly, I know Wifi Calling can work on this because works fine with my old Tesco SIM (SIM 2) I can toggle it on and off for my Three (SIM 1) in the calling menu but that means nothing because if I take out the Tesco SIM the wifi calling menu dissapers entirely and the Wifi calling icon never appears when I do make calls with the Three SIM, only works with the Tesco SIM.

PeteG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hello, Red. 

Welcome to Three and the Three Community.

Ah, that's a frustrating issue to be facing. I'm not entirely sure why some devices have issues setting up WiFi calling and some don't. There are some devices that are configured to work on all networks, and there's other devices that will require a specific software version to be installed in order to get it working. 

Phones purchased directly from Three will always work since they will either be configured to work on all networks, or the network will have requested that the manufacturer configure it to ensure it works. This same process can cause issues with phones that were purchased from other providers though. For example, a phone purchased on another network may have a carrier specific firmware installed which has slight changes made to it specifically for their network which causes compatibility issues with other networks. 

I've generally found that more recently, modern phones that are not carrier modified will just work. I had a quick look around, and from what I could see, there's 3 software versions for the UK S22 Ultra floating around. Two of them were unlocked, and the only carrier version I could see was an EE version.

If you go into your phones settings, down to about phone, then into software information, you should see one of the menus lists a service provider software version, can you confirm what software version is showing for you in there? 

Pete.

Red
Regular

Sure here is the provider version
Screenshot_20230108_202824_Settings.jpg

PeteG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Doing a little bit of digging online, it looks like that EUX firmware is a Europe firmware, and it looks like the UK based versions are BTU, BTE, and EVR. The EVR one is an EE branded version for their handsets, the other two are unbranded UK ones. 

The Galaxy I have doesn't have the EUX version on it, so I'm wondering if this carrier software is perhaps the cause of the issue you're having? It might be worth reaching out to Samsung to see if there's something they can do to help, or advise they can give on that. 

Hope this helps. 

Pete.

Red
Regular

Yeah explained that to Samsung this morning said that it can support it since my old sim worked fine with it and it should be enabled both in the settings and with Three. They came back and advised me to contact Three about it. So I'm at a total loss if even the manufacturer themselves don't think there is anything wrong.

I have a old S10+ that i did get directly from Tesco Mobile that had the firmware "BTU" but didn't see any wifi calling option when I poped in my Three SIM in that phone.

Been debating if I should flash the BTU firmware on the phone and seeing if anything different would happen.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Red, we'll do our best to help.

Was the handset bought from Samsung in the UK?

Can you also try keying in *#123# and let us know what info comes back?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

Red
Regular

I bought it from Samsung UK's online store, and this is what comes back when I dial *#1234#

Screenshot_20230109_205905_DeviceKeystring.jpg

PeteG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

I've been doing some more digging into the operator version and have found that the EUX version should be compatible with our network. WiFi calling should work normally on that. 

Could you try going into your phones settings and doing a reset of the network settings I believe you'll find this in General Management, Reset, Reset Network Settings. Alternatively, you can search within your settings "Reset", and it will take you to the right place to get started. 

So that you can be sure your phone is download the correct carrier data, please ensure that your Three SIM is the only SIM in your phone that's active, and that it is in SIM card slot 1 of the device.

Fingers crossed that works.  

Pete.