cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No network connection in Jammu, India

jw1
Regular

Hi all, I was told when renewed my pay monthly contract earlier this year that I would not have any trouble using my phone abroad in Jammu, India, as go roam was active. However, I have received no network related messages and even on checking for network manually, I have no signal in Jammu, none of the local operators are picking up my attempts to join! I can't see any option for live chat, am locked OUT OF My3 (OTP can't come through!). Any advice please?!

7 REPLIES 7
sc1999
Local celebrity

You may need a local sim as it appears that the Indian government may be blocking outside sims for security reasons.  I suggest a trip to a local phone shop. By the way the scenery looks stunning.

jw1
Regular

Thanks! The scenery can be spectacular indeed!

The OTP (via text message) from the UK still won't get through though, even with a local sim.

sc1999
Local celebrity

Just as likely to be the Indian government as a problem with 3.

jw1
Regular

so true! 

tarantella
Involved

Unfortunately, India isn't covered by either Go Roam or Data Passport........

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

That's right, here's the link to Roaming info for India.

@jw1 the best advice we can give is to get in touch to check roaming is definitely active, and that your usage isn't being restricted by credit limits on the account. The rates are quite high there though, so you may be best to check into local provider's options as was suggested.

Receiving texts is free, so assuming you switch data roaming off in your phone settings you may be able to pick up OTP at least. If your phone isn't providing service automatically, you can try checking for network or carrier selection in your settings, and with this on manual instead of automatic you'll get a list of available signals. If you try selecting these and testing them one by one that may get you service.

Hope this helps,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

jw1
Regular

Thank you!, tried all except switching off data roam to get OTP!!! Will try.