cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPad as a Laptop?

thetechhorse
Employee
Employee

For a while now I have been using both a Macbook & an iPad, and I have been curious to see if I could use solely my iPad and get rid of the clunkier, less portable laptop. I am confident that with that with the right keyboard case (Apple or Logitech), plus the addition of my current Logitech mouse Id be ok on that front (typing & navigating), but not so sure ref the application side of things. Outside of the normal word, excel and outlook I do occasionally use some Adobe and video editing software, which are where I am not sure how good the iPad would be long term.

Does anyone else use their iPad as their daily 'work device' and if so how have you found it?

Also welcome any recommendations on best laptop case for a 2021 iPad Pro.

4 REPLIES 4
LeeT
Employee
Employee

Haven't personally used the iPad before as im a Windows guy 🤔.... but one of my colleagues had the iPad Pro with the Logitech keyboard and can confirm the keyboard is amazing, at almost of half price of the apple branded one. The focus Apple are putting into the iPad Pro and making them more like the Macs by offering multi-windows seems to be a positive thing. By the looks of it, they are focusing on boosting the iPads as much as possible for productivity.

thetechhorse
Employee
Employee

Thanks Lee! Great to know ref the Logitech keyboard. As a keen user of some of their other products (wireless keyboard and mouse) I'm certainly sold vs the premium Apple one...although that hinge case does look pretty cool. Agree ref the direction Apple are taking to bridge the gap between the iPad and the Macbook and their respective capabilities.

Bubblesthefish6
Fledgling

I have the new iPad Air 5G (via 5G on three :)) and it is an incredibly performant device. I wouldn't however use it instead of a proper PC yet (notice how I didn't say mac... not a proper computer either imo) due to the limitations of iPadOS. There's no full lightroom or Microsoft apps which is a downside, iPadOS really does put the M1 power to waste sadly. 

EngineerMelissa
Employee
Employee

If you where to ditch your MacBook then I would recommend setting up a VPN to where you live so that you can Remote into a more powerful device and use your Adobe products on that, I do the same thing but with my 2021 iPad Air, if you don't want the hassle of setting up a VPN on your home network then using a cloud VM/Desktop solution is also a decent option for those more intensive tasks, the benefit of the cloud option is the ability to instantly scale up to more RAM or CPU power in a few clicks.