cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emergency calls over Wi-Fi when roaming

Izzabee
Fledgling

I’m planning a trip to Italy. The place I’m looking to stay in has no phone reception but it does have Wi-Fi. If I ever needed to make a call to the emergency services, could I do this over Wi-Fi? I understand Three doesn’t support Wi-Fi calling abroad, but wasn’t sure if an emergency number would work. I have an iPhone 13.

1 REPLY 1
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Izzabee,

If you dial an emergency services number like 999, or 112 in Europe, your phone will connect to any available provider's signal. So for example in the UK if you were in a place where there was no Three signal you may see a message such as "emergency calls only", this is indicating that your phone is connecting to another provider just in case you do need to dial an emergency services number.

If the location in Italy genuinely has no mobile signal whatsoever, then you won't be able to make a normal voice call, but if Wi-Fi is available is there a traditional fixed line phone service? It may also be worth looking into apps that support calls over a data connection.

It sounds like this must be a very remote area, have you been able to check with whoever is arranging your accommodation, or with anyone local to the area what provision there would be for emergency communications?

JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.