cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is 5G worth the extra money?

Mand4393
Regular

I'm renewing my phone contract is a couple of months and am wondering whether to carry on with 4G or whether 5G is actually worth paying extra for?

• 5G
Best solution
Best solution
sc1999
Local celebrity

I get 50-80 meg at home on 4g. I can't get 5g at home but in my local Asda's cark park I get 300+. If I had 5g available and it was truly unlimited then I may consider dumping BT. 

View solution in conversation

12 REPLIES 12
Best solution
sc1999
Local celebrity

I get 50-80 meg at home on 4g. I can't get 5g at home but in my local Asda's cark park I get 300+. If I had 5g available and it was truly unlimited then I may consider dumping BT. 

DanC
Employee
Employee

5G is a great upgrade in experience over 4G in many ways, I'm lucky enough to recently be in a 5G area and my speeds are around 300Mbps.

This allows me to download games on my Xbox much faster and be a much improved experience.

And best of all 5G doesn't cost any

more than 4G

beefriendly
Regular

What’s your experience of 5G vs 4G? 5 isn’t yet available in my area but curious to know peoples current findings!

Leeb
Fledgling

I've found it to be useful when you can get a connection to 5g. If you like downloading stuff it is so much quicker.

Hrdmx
Fledgling

what is the difference between 4g and 5g in terms of speed, is the difference significant or just a small increase in speeds

sc1999
Local celebrity

Sitting at my desk I get 80Mbps on 4G. Sitting in Asda Hereford cark park I can get 300+ on 5G. I do not need 80 meg, let alone 300 but maybe 5G will one day come to rural Herefordshire.

globetrekker
Fledgling

I am still on 4G I think and I feel it is fast enough. If 5G comes without any additional costs I might switch to it. 

Viksmath
Regular

Suggest you look at all available options via price comparison sites or Moneysavingexpert, before you renew the contract. Most of the mobile operators (including Three) provide a 5G capable SIM along with the 5G data allowance at no extra cost. However, the faster 5G downloads are available only in the areas covered by 5G by each operator, otherwise your downloads will be on 4G speeds. Please check 5G coverage in your area before you decide on the contract from a particular operator. 

Some operators like Three also have a WiFi calling feature which could be useful for calls where the phone signal is patchy and you have WiFi available. 

Au
Employee
Employee

Hey @3 you don't pay any extra for 5g 👍