cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MTU for XBOX live mutliplayer gaming on 5g home broadband

Lexx289
Fledgling

I am struggling to get my Xbox to work on Xbox live. Doing some googling it seems that the MTU is too low, it is 1360 and should be about 1385 to be able to work properly. I have rung three who seem to have no knowledge of what an MTU is and have sent me to the ombudsman. I have logged into the router (H122-373) and increased the MTU manually however it will not pull through onto my XBOX. I have put it in the DMZ, enabled UPNP and generally faffed with it as much as i can but the MTU on the XBOX does not change. I am assuming this is what is being sent from three and so it is something to be changed at three's end...

Does anyone else have any experience of this, or have any issues with XBOX live and home broadband 5g? or can they get it to work, cheers

103 REPLIES 103
JGallagher1991
Fledgling

Hello JonathanB

I am not sure if you are still around d but has three fixed the MTU problem as of yet? Funny thing is that I got three two years back and was able to play multiplayer on xbox up untill November/December 2023. I got a new router and still experiencing the same problem.

Any updates?

From Jamie

Jack2
Fledgling

Same sort of thing here I had three for quite some time and had no issues I then bought a series s and now I have the mtu problem doesn't make sense when the console should be better than my xbox one

Michael1
Regular

Hi JonathanB,

i've been having issues with signal, speed everything since the new year when there was an issue with the mast in my area but for for the last month everything seems to getting back to normal. HOORAY, i tried gaming with my friends on xbox but i am also getting the same issue of the MTU error. i was hoping with the system update that this would fix it but alas it has not fixed the issue. network checker says there are no issues in my area so this is obviously something to do with the 4g (i don't have 5g) signal the mast is sending out. everything was perfect before the new year when it all went down hill. any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks 

Moby77
Fledgling

Since changing to my zyxel nr5103e my download speeds fluctuate quite badly and my latency (ping) is high (160ms) and spikes to well over 1000. 

My mtu on the router settings is 1500, but shows 1360 on xbox series x network tests.

This has ruined my online gaming!!

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hey @Moby77,

It sounds like the default MTU for the router is higher than the network's. Unfortunately this is locked at our end so you won't be able to change it from the settings. I have enquired about this before and it was high enough for Xbox live previously, but they may have changed the requirements for the current gaming generation. Can you share if there's any error showing relating to MTU, or if you've been advised by Microsoft that the MTU is an issue?

Did you switch to the Zyxel from another Three router, or join Three moving from another provider? Just to understand if this is definitely a device issue, or possibly down to network coverage/faults?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

hhlondon97
Active

HI Jonathan,

I can confirm this is a 3 5G issue with this specific router and not an individual one. For context my brother and I both used the original 5G router (not the Zyxel one) in our own place when we lived together. When we moved out I took the box and contract with me and set up in my new place with no issues. He got a new 3 5G contract at a different address and consistently suffered from the same issue as everyone above. We used to think it was a console issue but then only 2 days ago  I was given the opportunity to get the latest hub (the Zyxel) and as soon as I got it I had the exact same pattern and issue. Xbox diagnostics on the console tell us both it is an MTU issue. I have tried looking at the MTU on the hub and it says its 1500 but on the console it says its not sufficient. It is something to do with this new hub that is limiting everyone's ability to play games in this forum and for probably many more people. 

I can confirm this is specifically a 3 5G issue and specifically this brand of Hub because I had no issues with this until the moment I switched to this one.

Please can this be resolved or looked into ASAP. It sounds like an oversight on someones part since the other older hubs function and this one doesn't.

Many thanks

R1lowkey
Regular

Literally this hub is w@nk could prob wire my Xbox to a car battery and get a better speeds 

hhlondon97
Active

9377BD37-93A4-48CA-AFA1-48DC8CBB84B4.jpeg

6544F2FD-FCA3-428E-A1C3-F9B1CDEA5CE4.jpeg

Fedi99
Fledgling

I am having the exact same issue with it being stuck at 1360. I am also starting to experience packet loss (wired connection) on mines. Anything between 1-7%. I spoke to Three technical support and they said they aren’t trained on the issue

UN1F0RM
Fledgling

Hi everyone. I'd also like to flag this issue. I recently moved to an area with no fixed broadband so initially used a TP-Link MR-600 with an EE SIM and had no issues connecting to Xbox live but the speed was very poor. I then changed to Three 5g using the ZTE MC801A. My speed is now fantastic but I have the MTU issue as reported by everyone else. I have tried the Console wired to the router, connected to wireless, using the router in bridged mode with my Google Wifi mesh and have had no luck. I can reconnect to the TP-Link with the EE sim and the MTU issue disappears. Offering this information as I have eliminated as many variables as possible and this appears to be for Three to resolve.