cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Out at sea?

Clever-Trevor
Involved

Hi,

Do Three offer any ‘add-ons’ for ‘Marine’ ( e.g. network connection at sea - while on a cruses ) ?

I am aware if ‘on-ship’ WI-FI - and this is the preferred connection - however; if the ship has a ‘cellular’ connection - is this charged as ‘International Roaming’ - or at some other rate ( assuming contract sim )

7 REPLIES 7
StephR
Employee
Employee

Hey Trevor,

Maritime networks aren’t included in Go Roam and charges do apply for using these. You can read more about this here.

At the moment, we don't offer any Add-ons for this so we'd recommend sticking to that on-ship Wi-Fi (and maybe even turning your data off completely to avoid any unintended connections).

Hope this helps and you have a brilliant time on your next cruise 😊

StephR

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query. 

Clever-Trevor
Involved

I also assume setting iPhone to Roaming = off will also avoid charges - thanks 

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hey Clever-Trevor,

That's correct, there should be an option on your device for switching data roaming off, this ensures that it will only use data when you have a Three UK signal.

I'd recommend having that off most of the time, unless you specifically need to use a roaming connection. It's not unheard of to latch onto signal from passing ships, from Northern Ireland to the Republic of Ireland, or (on a really clear day) Dover to France.

JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

Jess27
Fledgling

I know this is an old thread but hoping someone can answer. If I have a prepay SIM only deal and zero cash credit on my account, can I be charged if I accidentally connect to a maritime network, or will I receive a warning asking me to top up my account? Thanks. 

PeteG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hello. 

If you have Zero credit on the account, you can't be charged for accidentally using services while roaming, or on maritime masts. 

Pete.

Dududee
Fledgling

How about if I purchase global data? Will I be able to connect. Or I just simply need to buy a package with the cruise 

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Dududee,

If you search "cruise" in the Roaming destination checker, you'll get more info about Maritime networks. The rates are quite expensive and are charged per call minute, text, and MB of data used. So unfortunately there's no data add ons which will cover this.

If connectivity is essential whilst on the ship, you'd be best to have a look at the options provided by the cruise. They may have Wi-Fi packages which are more suitable.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.