cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming charges whilst data roaming turned off

bcracknell
Fledgling

I was on holiday in the US last month and had data roaming turned off before I even left the UK. At no point did I turn my data roaming on. Three texted me randomly at 3 points during my trip saying hello and welcome to the USA, outlining the costs associated with using my phone whilst in the USA. These texts were not telling me I was using my data, just letting me know I could. I've just received my bill to find I've been charged 3x £5 plus VAT for roaming services whilst in the USA. I can see on my bill that these supposed usages were really tiny amounts of data, <10MB. When I tried to dispute these charges, stating that I had my date roaming turned off the entire time,  I was told there was no way the system could be incorrect. However, clearly, the system is wrong if I can be charged tiny amounts of data usage whilst my data roaming is turned off. Please can you advise what I can do in this situation? 

201 REPLIES 201

In addition to my previous reply - if you set your spend cap to 0 - this won't happen as far as I'm aware. you can increase it with immediate effect at any point.

HD1983
Active

Do contest the bill - of you push and push they will admit the fault and re-imbourse you. I have moved all my Three lines to Three Business - but use another network for my main line - to avoid issues like this int he future. I use the Three SIM purely for data in a handset or as a hotspot - and hopefully will have some other provisions for roaming. Let's see - i'm not looking forward to having to query the bill again the next time 🙂