cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Used to have the free 200M data sim but it stopped without notification?

pwalk
Active

For the last couple of years, I've had an active free 200MB monthly data sim.
Recently after the online account and app has been updated, I couldn't see my allowance or refresh date. The SIM continued working fine (data and incoming calls as well).

I chatted to support and the agent appeared a bit clueless and claiming this has stopped. I didn't see how this could have been stopped since it was working fine and I haven't heard anything about it from Three. When I confirmed that I can still use data on it (while roaming as well, as it used to), the agent's reply was basically "that's great".

After coming off the chat, it has suddenly stopped.
Now, I understand that the service might have stopped and it was a free service, but to cut it off just like that, without notification and after chatting to support who didn't appear to know abut it, is strange to say the least. For all purposes, this was a normal working SIM from Three, albeit for data only. I'm sure something's wrong here?

157 REPLIES 157
UKZiggy
Active

You are not going to get the 300mb back so you need to think about what you want to compensate any losses if £10 is not acceptable.

You will almost certainly be asked what you are looking for and if you are unable to reach a settlement, make sure you ask for a letter of deadlock, the letter just says you have been unable to reach a resolution and this letter is needed to open a Ombudsman case, if that is the route you intend to take. Without the letter you have to wait 8 weeks before requesting an Ombudsman investigation.
If you cant reach a resolution and their investigation is complete, then they have to provide a letter of deadlock if requested.

Craiggor
Regular

Thanks for the reply Ziggy. I will ask for the letter of deadlock. 

ChrisAO
Active

Assuming you can't reach an acceptable settlement. The 200 MB is not going to reappear for those of us that have lost it. Something else MIGHT appear in the future but not necessarily something automatically given to those of us now without the 200MB.

Craiggor
Regular

Just had a call from a complaints manager. He said he hadn’t heard about the problem before. I told him about this thread. He has logged a complaint and said he will get back to me. He said he wants to get this sorted to make every one on the thread happy and he understands I don’t want the offer made to me and I just want my 200mb back.

UKZiggy
Active

The staff really do want to help but they can't.
Check your complaint on the 3 website, its listed there and the person who dealt with the complaint, it will say the same as mine = call operators name, Mumbai India.
These call centre agents in Mumbai really want to help but they don't have the authority. 

UKZiggy
Active

To update, I have settled 1 of 3 accounts.
I have 2 accounts and my partner has 1 account, they tried to reject one of my 2 accounts on the basis it was a duplicate, the Ombudsman rejected this.
The attempted rejection brought this to the forefront and they offered a financial settlement that I have accepted.

This was handled by a person I won't name who is in Three’s executive office.
For anyone still keeping their fingers crossed the 200mb will return, it won't, this was part of the reply:

"I have reviewed your complaint and see that you have been informed the plan is no longer available, we show in our terms that “We may change or withdraw some, or part, of the Three Services from time to time. This may be because of changing technologies, obsolescence, new or different product features, changing content providers or the need to remove, replace or modify content. Depending upon the changes that are made, you may have a right to end this agreement” I am sorry that this was a sudden change and can see that unfortunately, we cannot offer to reinstate the plan."

ChrisAO
Active

Thanks for that. In essence, that's what I was told back in December and have tried to convey in my responses here.

UKZiggy
Active

Yes, still worth a case though for a substantially better settlement.

UKZiggy
Active

Final update.
We have now agreed a financial settlement on all 3 accounts.
As before all 3 executive office representatives have confirmed the 200mb "free" data sim no longer exists and will not be reinstated.

We have agreed 3 settlements of £170 comprising 2x£60 & 1x£50, I could have pushed for the extra £10 but it really was not worth any further effort.

shawny
Regular

Another attempt with raising the complaint with Three without them closing it automatically.....

I refused the goodwill gesture and await their response to my request of deadlock letter to escalate to ombudsman.

Below is the response I rejected

Dear Shaun,

Thank you for contacting Three.

I understand you're not happy as we have stopped offering 200MB free data on Mobile Broadband pay as you go sim cards.

Shaun, it was a business decision that from  From 23 May 2022 we removed the 200MB free offer,

Our customers can now use data at the cost of 1p per MB, and if our customers are using calls and text functionality, then they will be charged 2p per text and 3p per min for calls.

I realize you're not happy with these changes, however since this is a business decision, unfortunately its not possible for us to reverse it.

To resolve this issue as a goodwill gesture, we can offer you a credit of £5.00 to your pay as you go account.

If you’re happy to accept the above as full and final resolution to your complaint, please confirm by reply within 28 days. If we don’t hear from you within 28 days, we’ll close the complaint as resolved.

In case if you have any questions or if you prefer to speak to us directly then, please call us on 0800 033 8013.

You can find out more about our complaints procedure in our Customer Complaints Code here.
https://www.three.co.uk/terms-conditions/code-of-practice/customer-complaints-code

Kind Regards,
Shashank Divekar
Customer Relations Team
Three UK