cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Calling and 4G Calling

tarantella
Involved

What is the up-to-date situation on WiFi Calling and 4g Calling please, specifically in relation to iphones and Android devices NOT purchased from Three.

There are lots of conflicting bits of information floating around.

Will all new devices bought in 2023 now have Wifi Calling and 4g Calling fully enabled, or will there still be any restrictions or caveats?

I would really appreciate a full and comprehensive answer from one of the Moderators please: thanking you very much in advance.

9 REPLIES 9
Peter_L
Active

Hello. I am using iPhone not purchased from Three and my 4G calls and WiFi Calls work perfectly fine.

PeteG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi, Tarantella. 

With WiFi calling (VoWifi) and 4G calling (VoLTE), it's not possible to give assurances that all handsets currently available, or going further into 2023 will be compatible. 

There are no active measures in place to prevent phones that are not sold by Three from working. This means most phones should work if the manufacturer has enabled these features.  

If you're unsure about a device though, we'd recommend contacting the manufacturer to ask if they support VoWifi and VoLTE, and if they lock the feature to certain networks. 

I can confirm I've used on Three - A Galaxy Note 9 bought from EE, an unlocked Galaxy S21, several unlocked Google Pixel devices ranging from the 4 to the 7, and these all worked with VoWifi and VoLTE. As you can probably see, @Peter_L has also mentioned below that he's using an iPhone that wasn't purchased from Three, and that works alright too. 

It's a good bet those manufacturers devices will work fine on Three, but it's always worth checking in with them before spending your money, just in case. 

Pete. 

sc1999
Local celebrity

Samsung S21 FE not bought from 3 always seems to be on wifi calling. Also makes calls on 3, 4 and 5G.

MZone
Key player

My last 3 iPhones bought from Apple have worked fine on 3. Think non iPhones sometimes can cause problems dependant on the software. 

PeppaSC
Fledgling

I have a Motorola G82 and have just put a three payg SIM in (dual SIM phone), no VoLTE symbol is showing on the top of my screen for the three sim. My phone has these settings switched on and my 1pmobile (EE network) SIM still has 4g calling available for my phone. 

PeppaSC
Fledgling

Although I've just read elsewhere that not all providers offering 4g calling have VoLTE showing on the screen. Is this correct? I don't really want to add credit to the payg sim only to find it definitely doesn't. I've got this as a 2nd sim to try out signal at home, work etc before moving across. I definitely want wifi and 4g calling though and I know EE offer this. 

sc1999
Local celebrity

On my Samsung the wifi calling symbol for 3 an Vodafone  is a phone with a wifi symbol above the mouthpiece.  I am on wifi but the wifi calling symbol is not showing as I have a strong mobile signal.

PeppaSC
Fledgling

4g calling does work on the three network for my phone. It doesn't show VoLTE at the top of the screen like EE does, but signal doesn't drop from 4g when on the phone. My husband is with an O2 provider and when he's on the phone his data signal drops to an H which is absolutely ridiculous. Definitely an EE or three network for me while I have this phone. 

sc1999
Local celebrity

My S21FE only shows wifi calling when I have a poor 4g, or 3g, signal. This applies to 3 and Vodafone as I have 2 sims in my phone. That said I have recollections that there are sometimes issues with phones not supplied by 3 or with EU and not UK firmware.