cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eSIM tale of woe

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to recount a quick tale of woe.I asked for an eSIM a week or so back for my iPhone 12 to effectively make it a dual sim handset for a variety of reasons. An extremely helpful customer service advisor provided me with two emails containing a QR code,four digit activation code and instructions;all good so far. Except it failed to activate and at the same time cancelled my physical sim. So another physical sim had to be sent out to me as I’m a long way from a Three shop and it arrived in forty eight hours with another few hours to activate it. To be fair to them I’m not blaming Three it was just one of those things,but I’m giving up on the concept of eSIM’s for now and am going to leave things well alone.☹️

Just a cautionary tale !

Best solution
Best solution
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Anonymous,

I'm sorry to hear this was your experience of trying to activate an eSIM, and I can understand your reluctance to try again if popping into one of our stores would be such a long journey.

I'll certainly pass on your feedback, I'm under the impression that most eSIM swaps are pretty seamless, but hopefully you'll see posts from other customers about their experience of updating to eSIM on here in time, so that you don't just need to take my word for it.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

View solution in conversation

7 REPLIES 7
Best solution
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Anonymous,

I'm sorry to hear this was your experience of trying to activate an eSIM, and I can understand your reluctance to try again if popping into one of our stores would be such a long journey.

I'll certainly pass on your feedback, I'm under the impression that most eSIM swaps are pretty seamless, but hopefully you'll see posts from other customers about their experience of updating to eSIM on here in time, so that you don't just need to take my word for it.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks but I don’t blame Three it was just one of those things. 
Sticking with the bit of plastic for now though .🤷‍♂️

PeterPi
Fledgling

I have a similar issue. Two long chats to Three today requesting a QR code for an eSim. Four hours after the first call I still had not received an email with QR code or activation pin. Same with second chate, except for the fact they disabled my physical SIM, so now I have no service. Not what I have come to expect since I joined the network, at the launch, twenty years ago.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Precisely what happened to me !

adamjmcgrath
Regular

> I'm under the impression that most eSIM swaps are pretty seamless, 

They're not... https://community.three.co.uk/t5/Account-and-services/eSim-Transfer/m-p/30567#M6489

Anonymous
Not applicable

To conclude this topic Three have just apologised and put a £10 credit on my account so my d/d will be reduced accordingly next month and I’m happy with this. 
End of! 🔚

martishencil
Fledgling

I have same issue, tried reaching customer care no useful. I see esim is not easy with Three. 
QR code arrived, activation code did not receive it .

i am new to 3 from 02 ( i see O2 is seamless - all happen via selfcare app)