cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware the PAC request hack

FellowsDiary
Regular

I recently had a text from Three pop up giving me details of the PAC I had requested

Needless to say it wasn't me. Although I wanted a button to say "it wasn't me stop it" I seemed to have no choice but to chat with that infuriating bot until it gave in and then let me chat with a human. He understood what had happened and told me he had cancelled the PAC so I felt I had acted quickly enough (PAC "cancelled" within 90 minutes of text arriving)

Unfortunately what he should have said is that he had asked for the PAC to be cancelled because 24 hours later I lost my number with all the downstream security issues that brings. Three are now trying to recover the situation and I'm waiting to hear from Three Security, I just hope they don't try and contact me by text!

It was a combined hit on email and Three so don't know at the moment how they accessed my email but there are times when I wonder the "I've forgotten my password" procedure is a good idea

My learning from this is always respond to any texts indicating fraudulent activities in a timely manner and treat your 'phone as compromised until you get positive confirmation that fraudulent activity has been reversed 

0 REPLIES 0