cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I cloud subscription

KateC
Fledgling

I cloud have contacted me and say thst my photos will be deleted if I do not pay a subscription. Before I do this I need to know if this is genuine.

3 REPLIES 3
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @KateC,

It's always a good idea to verify the sources of unexpected emails, especially if they're prompting for log in or payment details. I'd suggest having a look at Apple's Support site for iCloud here: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/icloud

From there you should hopefully find a way to get in touch with Apple so they can confirm if this is genuine.

Also, here's a link to our Fraud to watch out for page, this has some more general advice on what to look out for and how to report scams.

Hope this helps,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

FellowsDiary
Regular

Apple do charge you for additional storage if you're trying to store loads of stuff on iCloud, but I'm looking at what I believe is a genuine Apple email and what it says is that if you run out of iCloud storage new photos videos and documents will no longer be uploaded to iCloud and devices will stop being backed up, not that they will be deleted

You can see how much of your cloud storage you are using in Settings  

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Good points @FellowsDiary, it'd only make sense for files to be deleted if you cancel or reduce a subscription, or were on some sort of trial and this expired.

Lots of scams create the impression of some sort of urgency, overdue taxes or bills, your device is vulnerable to or infected by viruses, or in this case your files will be lost. I can't say with any certainty based on what's been shared, @KateC but I think you're right to be suspicious. I'd recommend to check with Apple if they sent the email before doing anything else.

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.